How to improve ride for city DD? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 1994 is stock save for 33' tires and, as my username suggests, I live and drive in an urban environment.

What are some common sense ways to improve the ride? Bumps and average road conditions are a little harsh and I'd like to smooth it out.

Nothing has been done to the suspension or chassis, etc, in years....(YEARS). Tires are probably 3 years old and have less than 10,000 miles on them.

Thanks from a newb.

New shocks and springs will help.
Solid front axle trucks will always ride some what rough regardless of what you do.

My 1994 is stock save for 33' tires and, as my username suggests, I live and drive in an urban environment.

What are some common sense ways to improve the ride? Bumps and average road conditions are a little harsh and I'd like to smooth it out.

Nothing has been done to the suspension or chassis, etc, in years....(YEARS). Tires are probably 3 years old and have less than 10,000 miles on them.

Thanks from a newb.
If the suspension is stock, the single biggest contributor to a harsh ride is the tires. You likely don't have street tires. If you really only care about the street ride, switch to street tires.

As was said and you probably know, an 80 Series is going to ride somewhat harsh (and ride comfortability is relative). That said, I saw a HUGE difference when I swapped my original and tired shocks and springs with OME stock height springs and OEM shocks. I also run my tire pressure a little low, but I drive almost exclusively on gravel roads with mud tires.

Michelin defenders tires is a good match with quite ride and save a little on gas

As was said and you probably know, an 80 Series is going to ride somewhat harsh (and ride comfortability is relative). That said, I saw a HUGE difference when I swapped my original and tired shocks and springs with OME stock height springs and OEM shocks. I also run my tire pressure a little low, but I drive almost exclusively on gravel roads with mud tires.

Same here but I drive mostly street

Tire pressure.

Mine is a DD in the Kansas City area. I have 33" tires (Duratracs) and I run 32 PSI most of the time unless I'm doing long trips. On trips, I run 40 PSI.

Before I installed my new heavy springs, my truck on OEM shocks and springs was nice and smooth, and soft. I liked the way it drove and handled, but as I carry a lot of stuff, I needed heavy springs and I wanted a small lift.

Put on OEM Lexus springs ( a bit softer than LC's) and Michelin LTX tires. Replace all rubber suspension parts.

Tires offer most bang for the buck and aired lower as stated (find the comfort zone). Falken Wildpeak AT3’s really surprised me with how well they rode and handled on asphalt. Their advantage to “street” tires is they don’t look like street tires and they allow the option of rolling that Cruiser right off the asphalt to where it really wants to be (rocks, mud, snow, etc, etc)...

What tire pressure do you run?

Aside from shocks, springs and tires as everyone mentioned, the things that improved my enjoyment of daily driving is soundproofing, window runs. and recovered seats. You don't notice the ride as much if you don't have wind noise, rattles and are sitting comfortably.

My opinion is that there are many things and some not directly related to ride quality all need to be operating in harmony. Tires, tire condition, air pressure, springs, shocks, bushings, alignment, TRE, wheel bearing condition and preload...just to make a few. Ideally if you're able to baseline all of these things you should end up with a nice ride.

Old Prius

prius.jpg

Welcome to the rabbit hole.

Cheapest way is to take a ride in a 40 then come back to the 80. Honestly though I would have never guessed the 80 to be considered for ride quality improvement. Mine is so nice on the road it makes me happy every time I drive it. I'm stock except for 285/75 tires. Like others I'm guessing your tires are the problem.

+1 on tires. I lowered my tire pressure to 32 and it made a huge difference in street ride quality -- it seems quieter too.

Another vote for the OEM Tokicos. Nice ride, easily available, reasonable cost. As was also mentioned, the Lexus 450 OEM shocks are said to be more plush than that, but no personal experience so I can't say for sure. As long as you're at stock height, the OEM shocks fit well.

What tire pressure do you run?

20 - 25 psi. However, I should mention that I only put about 3000 miles a year on my truck. I know the lower pressure will shorten the life of the tire (extra heat and wear), but that isn't a concern of mine. I've found that after about 5 years, the rubber is breaking down and the tire hardens to the point that I'm ready to replace anyway...even though they only have about 15,000 miles. If my LC was a DD on pavement, I'm not sure I'd run 25 psi

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom