How to identify OEM alarm (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

MoJ

Threads
After searching, still have few questions. Here's the info:

1. 1994 made in Dec 1994 but sold in Jan 95
2. Have the alarm manual (no model # listed in manual). The front cover of the manual says "toyota" and "1995." The back cover of the manual says "Audiovox." The manual also describes the keyless entry that operates with the alarm.
3. The alarm LED is a single LED mounted by the f/r diff switch to the left of the steering wheel. The LED has no writing around it like others I've seen.
4. The valet togle is mounted on the DS kick panel.
5. There's an under-hood spring loaded pin type sensor mounted at the top of the fire wall.
6. The manual on Beowulf's website does not match the one I have. (thanks for the info B.)

So - since I don't have a remote at all I can't match the FCC# when trying to purchase a new used one. I'm thinking maybe this was installed by Toyota at the time of purchase in 1995 instead of in 1994 ( the year of the FJ in question). Sorry this sound like an algebra problem.

What type of Alarm do I have and/or what remote do I need?

Thanks,
Jason

It is NOT an OEM system. It is probably a private distributor's in-house accesory.

Bummer! :-\ what were the tell-tale signs?

"Audiovox."

Ah, I was wondering why a quality leader such as Toyota would be using a less-than high quality company like Audiovox.

I have the same setup on my 96, (red led by locker switch/switch on ds kick pannel) but unfortunately i do not have the audiovox manual. I notice i can flip the switch if the truck is started and the led turns off.

Is there a good way to find out how this alarm works? Is it really an alarm or simply just a led that looks like an alarm?

Any help would be appreciated.

Find the alarm box, probably in the kickpanel left of driver's feet. It will have a FCC ID and most likely the manufacturer's model number.

hpantier -

I have the manual and would be glad to snail mail you a copy. It has some usefull info such as "what to do if alarm has disabled engine." Message me with your info if you want it.

-Jason

There was an alarm on one of our 97s that fit MoJ's description exactly, except that is was not an Audiovox. In fact, there was no manufacturer ID on the black box whatsoever (tho, there was a serial # & SKU #...). This alarm was a major PITA, so it was finally stripped out.

I figure that it was installed by one of those "Sneaky Pete's" that drive around in plain-wrap vans, visiting the dealerships and installing aftermarket stuff into new vehicles...

Anyway, my sister drives this rig now, and she has had a new, aftermarket alarm installed that she likes. Me, I'm still waiting for a good recommendation for a good alarm system to put in mine...

R -

Jason,
If you can get that system identified and the manual scanned to multi-page PDF (or each page to a PDF) then I'll put it on the web site. I'm suggesting this because Ron and Hank said they've seen the same alarm so it must be on quite a few vehicles. I'm not interested in "one-off" systems but it might be of benefit to others in the future if we posted up the manuals.

The vehicles imported by Gulf States Toyota (importer like Toyota USA) were frequently fitted with another type of alarm. I would like to get PDF's of that one too.

FYI, the RS3000 "factory" alarm was manufactured by Fujitsu.

-B-

B,
That shouldn't be a problem. It's a strange setup as all the literature is labeled "Toyota" but yet the alarm appears to be somewhere between aftermarket & OEM.

[quote author=MoJ link=board=2;threadid=11065;start=msg99727#msg99727 date=1075997681]
Ah, I was wondering why a quality leader such as Toyota would be using a less-than high quality company like Audiovox.
[/quote]

IMO, you could not confuse the factory alarm with quality.

andre

1. While this might be a "smarts" thing. If the vehicle is locked with the fob and unlocked with the key the ignition remains locked out. Therefore a hid-a-key is useless.

2. Range of remote sometime 5 ft sometimes 25ft (with new battery).

3. Limited functionality locks unlocks all doors, not push once unlock DS, push twice (or additional button) unlock all doors, hold button unroll windows.

4. Glass break sensor is erratic

5. I've had it unlock the car not disable the siren, only way to know is open the door. I have to wait for the siren to stop fob does not stop it.

IMO, about as much thought went into the alarm as into the square cup holders. It's not going to make or break the car, it could be better.

<<<"While this might be a "smarts" thing. If the vehicle is locked with the fob and unlocked with the key the ignition remains locked out. Therefore a hid-a-key is useless.">>>

Not accurate for a factory system. You can unlock the door with a key, the alarm will sound. Place the key in the ignition and turn it from "off" to "on" and back twice. Do not attempt to "start" the vehicle. This process will silence the alarm and re-set the start circuit.

My OEM alarm has worked perfectly for over 10 years. Of course I just jinxed myself by saying that........ :whoops:

Dan,
That's some good info to know,I guess if I had taken the time and read my owners manual :doh: I too would of known that :beer:

Rick,
Can you elaborate?? Mine has lost it's range of operation,
maybe my droping it a few times, had something to do with it :doh:

The controller should be mounted under the drivers seat. When the port installer installed it, he just coiled up the wire and left the controller under the dash. There is one wire that is used as an antenna, so since it was all coiled up it worked like S**T. I just corrected the install by moving the controller to the correct spot under the seat and now have excellent range.

Thanks Dan I'll try that, I don't recall reading that in the manual (I did read it, apperently not very well). I do know that my alarm does not sound when unlocked with the key.

I'll also look for the coiled antenna, what distance does your fob work from. Another thing I have notice is inconsitant "chirping" when arming/disarming sometiem does/doesn't.

andre

Andre,

The OEM alarm should go off when a door is opened without hitting the button on the remote unless the system is in the "passive" mode. Do you have an RS3000?

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom