How to identify frame rust? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have heard several of the regulars mention frame rust. I would think it would be obvious to see frame rust? Is it not obvious?

It would seem that if I live in the Western U.S. (Washington and Idaho) and have never seen frame rust... is it a salt issue or a East coast issue mainly?

My FJ40 is from Eastern Washington since new and has zero rust anywhere. Just trying to learn about where the frame rust usually appears?

Thanks. I am trying to help a friend find one back east.

My cruiser came from Canada. The frame is rusted a little in the rear triangle cross braces. I went around the frame with a ballpeen hammer. I just tapped all around it looking for soft spots. I diddnt find anymore, just surface rust.

It's pretty obvious when you see bad frame rust. The steel actually starts to blister and flake off. You want to check for structural soundness. I use a screwdriver and hammer and just tap all over. I once put a screwdriver all the way through a rusty frame member of an FJ62 here in Upper Michigan. Didn't buy that one...

yulp def a east coast thing... my cruiser spent it s whole life in PA and it did one hell of a number on the frame and the body...while banging the hell out of a spring pin part of the frame fell out over the spring hanger... further away from the engine the worse it gets..so i have some work ahead of me cutting out the rust and welding new metal in...its kinda weird the begining of the frame looks perfect and the end looks like hell.. i guess its all the oil the engine throws around... anyway id check above the spring hangers.. thats the worst spots on my frame...good luck
-al

[quote author=lowtideride link=board=1;threadid=13437;start=msg124425#msg124425 date=1079828831]
yulp def a east coast thing... my cruiser spent it s whole life in PA and it did one hell of a number on the frame and the body...
[/quote]

yeap, here in PA we spare no salt. they even salt when it rains....in the summer. even our creeks are salt water fisheries....

I remember staying in the Chicago suburbs one December a couple of years ago. We woke up one bright morning to see (what appeared to be from the 6th floor of our hotel) a fine white blanket covering the roads. "A skiff of snow!" we thought. Until we realized it was only on the roads. It was all salt, up to a 1/2 inch deep in the gutters. Forecasters had predicted snow, but neither had it materialized, nor had it even clouded up. Nonetheless, the salters were out in force all night. Wow, I say. We took pictures, we were so amazed!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom