How to identify destination country? BJ70 (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hey y'all,

I recently purchased a 1985 LHD BJ70 24v and have been trying to figure out the country to which it was originally shipped. I put my VIN in ToyoDIY and it confirms Europe but no country is listed. This thing was gently used but I'm pretty confident it was a mine truck as the cluster gauge is the "minimalist" type: speed, temp and fuel only. It has low KM's and does not appear to have been hacked on by previous owners. I'm guessing it was Czech or Sweden?

Any recommendations for tracing this gals travels is appreciated!

I have it mostly stripped down and will hopefully have it back together soon to show some proper pics.

BJ70.jpg

Only a few countries have a big enough market to get their own models. A lot of countries in Europe and Eastern Europe had LHD BJ70 24V

TLC FAQ - 14.0 Decoding your ID plates

Same bullbar as mine

Last edited:
Can't help with the vehicle's origin but I can help you join the cool list ...... U.S. 70's Registration.

Thanks @Gun Runner 5 and will do now. I agree it does feel like a cool kids club. I had an old regular FJ40 and driving this 70 makes me feel like George Costanza when he got invited to the supermodel party...

Only a few countries have a big enough market to get their own models. A lot of countries in Europe and Eastern Europe had LHD BJ70 24V

TLC FAQ - 14.0 Decoding your ID plates

Same bullbar as mine

Sweet. Thanks for the info @roscoFJ73 !!!

Thanks @Gun Runner 5 and will do now. I agree it does feel like a cool kids club. I had an old regular FJ40 and driving this 70 makes me feel like George Costanza when he got invited to the supermodel party...

Sweet. Thanks for the info @roscoFJ73 !!!
Hopefully we'll see you at the 5th Annual 70 Series Meet & Greet at Windrock this Fall.

If this was the color of your cruiser it was probably used by a german industrial company that send cruisers all over the world to their work sites and then later brought them back, I have seen several of these for sale in the late eighties and the nineties at the bigger export dealers that bought them by the dozen. Most of them had low but very hard miles, at one point I bought a KZJ70 from them but regretted that soon because even though it was only a few years old at that time it was pretty abused and had a lot if issues.

If this was the color of your cruiser it was probably used by a german industrial company that send cruisers all over the world to their work sites and then later brought them back, I have seen several of these for sale in the late eighties and the nineties at the bigger export dealers that bought them by the dozen. Most of them had low but very hard miles, at one point I bought a KZJ70 from them but regretted that soon because even though it was only a few years old at that time it was pretty abused and had a lot if issues.

Thanks Joe. It does indeed have low miles and color appears original but does not seem abused. It’s pretty clean and very little rust. Everything is where it’s supposed to be and straight. Maybe I got a gently used one- probably a lazy foreman that putted around?

Thanks Joe. It does indeed have low miles and color appears original but does not seem abused. It’s pretty clean and very little rust. Everything is where it’s supposed to be and straight. Maybe I got a gently used one- probably a lazy foreman that putted around?

I think it all depended where the cruiser was send to and in all honesty the company I bought mine from never spend much so they probably got the worst of the worst . I have only seen that color for that specific company though, maybe some other countries got that same color from the dealer ?

maybe some other countries got that same color from the dealer ?

Yeah , we had a few like this, but most common on the HJ75 utes and Bundeeras

yellow bj73.jpg

Hello,

South America spec 70 Series got that color in the late 1990s.

Juan

Hello,

Juan

are u down in Bogota , Columbia Juan ?

Last edited:
Hello,

No, I am not.

I did spend some time working down there. I remember the advice given to me by the company when I arrived: "if you venture outside your hotel after 7:00 pm, we cannot guarantee your safety, you are on your own." Later, a couple friends I made helped me to find my way through the night hours and security checks.

However, the Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad was not to be messed with, or so they told me. Nor were the guerrillas or the paramilitary.

Lots of Land Cruisers of all series, nice people, good night life and fine dress shirts. But it remains a war zone, even with the peace agreements. Not a place to live in my book.

Back to that particular shade of yellow/light mustard, I saw it frequently on 70 Series and 90 Series in Colombia. The latter usually had black stripes with PRADO on it. 73 Series looked great on that yellow.

Juan

Last edited:
Hello,

No, I am not.

I did spend some time working down there. I remember the advice given to me by the company when I arrived: "if you venture outside your hotel after 7:00 pm, we cannot guarantee your safety, you are on your own." Later, a couple friends I made helped me to find my way through the night hours and security checks.

However, the Departamento Administrativo de Seguridad was not to be messed with, or so they told me. Nor were the guerrillas or the paramilitary.

Lots of Land Cruisers of all series, nice people, good night life and fine dress shirts. But it remains a war zone, even with the peace agreements. Not a place to live in my book.

Back to that particular shade of yellow/light mustard, I saw it frequently on 70 Series and 90 Series in Colombia. The latter usually had black stripe with PRADO on it. 73 Series looked great on that yellow.

Juan

IMG_1049.JPG

Well, I think the mystery may be solved. I’ve been slowly cleaning the rig up and putting things together and just happened to make my way to reinstalling the glove box today and noticed this sticker! Looks like they must have had this color in Sweden or it made its way there at some point.

257D8837-24CC-492F-B406-8EDDBCC7DF7A.jpeg

Hello,

Juan

I have a picture of a 1980’s HJ75 that color, original paint. I took the picture.

54248929-0800-452A-BA6C-70935D9CEFBA.jpeg

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom