1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to identify a California emissions FJ40?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by spctrbytz, Aug 21, 2006.

1. spctrbytz

spctrbytz

I have a new-to-me project sitting in my driveway, a 1974 FJ40 3-speed that appears to be all original under the hood. It has ignition problems so I am doing all the basic ignition tune-up goodies - points, plugs, condenser, rotor, cap, coil, wires.

I was asked by the local auto parts store if it was a California truck. Since it came to Abilene, TX by way of Minnetonka, MN that is highly doubtful, but how would I know for sure? It has an F engine and there is a smog pump / EGR setup, other than that I am clueless.

Thanks

Tony

2. 74fjsemistock

74fjsemistock

I'm not totally sure but if you can find a scale...weigh it.If it has approx. 200lbs. of vacume lines / less the bullet holes/add rattle can gang tags/1/4 oz of Meth in the dash...That's a Cali Cruiser.:flipoff2:

3. spctrbytz

spctrbytz

Not too many vacuum lines but there was a copy of "The Village Voice" and a meerschaum pipe coated in some sort of black goo in the glovebox. Does that count?

4. WagonsRule

WagonsRule

THAT is funny. FYI though,there is just over 140 lbs of vacuum lines.

Oh, and the ID tag under the hood should say if it's CA emmissions. If it was 1st sold in MN, it does not.

5. spctrbytz

spctrbytz

I'll check under the hood for the decals this afternoon. I am thinking it was fifth or sixth sold in MN and was exhumed from a pile of road salt before making its way to Texas. The only thing that is not rusty is the "Toyota" emblem on the grille.

6. 74fjsemistock

74fjsemistock

If it's snorkled,stand on the running board and take a big pull on the thing.If you hear gurgling and there's a little smoke coming out...dont fall off.

7. 74fjsemistock

74fjsemistock

Seriously...LOTS OF VACUME LINES and a sticker LOCALS ONLY!

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">