How to identify a California emissions FJ40? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a new-to-me project sitting in my driveway, a 1974 FJ40 3-speed that appears to be all original under the hood. It has ignition problems so I am doing all the basic ignition tune-up goodies - points, plugs, condenser, rotor, cap, coil, wires.

I was asked by the local auto parts store if it was a California truck. Since it came to Abilene, TX by way of Minnetonka, MN that is highly doubtful, but how would I know for sure? It has an F engine and there is a smog pump / EGR setup, other than that I am clueless.

Thanks

Tony

I'm not totally sure but if you can find a scale...weigh it.If it has approx. 200lbs. of vacume lines / less the bullet holes/add rattle can gang tags/1/4 oz of Meth in the dash...That's a Cali Cruiser.:flipoff2:

Not too many vacuum lines but there was a copy of "The Village Voice" and a meerschaum pipe coated in some sort of black goo in the glovebox. Does that count?

74fjsemistock said:
I'm not totally sure but if you can find a scale...weigh it.If it has approx. 200lbs. of vacume lines / less the bullet holes/add rattle can gang tags/1/4 oz of Meth in the dash...That's a Cali Cruiser.:flipoff2:

THAT is funny. FYI though,there is just over 140 lbs of vacuum lines.

Oh, and the ID tag under the hood should say if it's CA emmissions. If it was 1st sold in MN, it does not.

WagonsRule said:
Oh, and the ID tag under the hood should say if it's CA emmissions. If it was 1st sold in MN, it does not.

I'll check under the hood for the decals this afternoon. I am thinking it was fifth or sixth sold in MN and was exhumed from a pile of road salt before making its way to Texas. The only thing that is not rusty is the "Toyota" emblem on the grille.

If it's snorkled,stand on the running board and take a big pull on the thing.If you hear gurgling and there's a little smoke coming out...dont fall off.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom