How to ground BJ42 3B Fuel Control Relay? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm trying to figure out why my EDIC motor will not work and 'think' I've isolated the issue to the Fuel Control Relay, which seems to be a fairly common problem. I've taken it apart and it looks pretty good. I'd like to run a new ground to it, but I'm not sure where to ground it from? Here's a pic with the cover removed -
FUEL CONTROL RELAY for IH8MUD.jpg

Your relay looks to be in pretty good condition. But, that's not to say it couldn't be faulty. Here is a thread that I posted up awhile back where I was having problems and it ended up being my EDIC Motor (FCM) - link ---> https://forum.ih8mud.com/diesel-tech-24-volts-systems/436369-cleaning-female-connectors.html. Maybe it will give you some ideas. Personally, I don't think you need to worry about running a separate ground wire to the FCR. I think your problem probably lies elsewhere.

Good luck!

:cheers:

FFLCfreak is probably right in his thinking that the problem is likely to lie elsewhere .... but it does no harm to check your FCR ground/earthing anyway.

Toyota uses WB (white with black stripe) wire for grounds so I believe that WB wire in your photo should be the earth/ground here.

Also most metal-bodied electrical components are generally earthed/grounded through their fasteners too (as well as with an earth wire).

So I'd use a multimeter to check that the WB wire I see there has continuity with the metal body of your FCR.

If it does (and I think it should) I'd then get a wire (with a crocodile clip at each end) and connect it from the body of the FCR to somewhere on the body (bare metal) of your cruiser.

By doing this (when the FCR is reinstalled and plugged in) you will have run an additional ground (in addition to the grounding supplied by both the WB wire and whatever fasteners hold the FCR in position).

:beer:

PS. Because any fasteners should act as a back-up ground, I suspect the people who have trouble with poor grounding of their FCRs probably leave them dangling by their wires or zip-tied to the loom rather than having them bolted securely to the bodywork as mine is.

FF LC FREAK - Thank you for the link. I've read it several times and it is very helpful :beer:

TOM - I was hoping you would chime in :) I will tap into the WB (White/Black) wire to give it an additional ground. What is a crocodile clip?

Thank you - Matt

Just for information, I do not think the fuel relay grounds through the fastener, since it works perfectly well when not attached at all. Of course the fastener could provide a secondary ground.
cheers,
J

.... What is a crocodile clip?

Thank you - Matt

They are a means of making a temporary electrical connection while leaving your hands free Matt:

TestLeads2.jpg

Here are a few of my collection of test leads that have crocodile clips on them:

TestLeads1.jpg

A decent electronics hobby shop should be able to supply this sort of stuff.

They very using for performing many electrical tests.

:beer:

PS. I think the best thing to do is plug in an FCR that is known to be working properly and see if the fault disappears. (But I know this is easier said than done ... because obtaining one may be difficult for you.
TestLeads2.jpg
TestLeads1.jpg

..Then, assuming it works, trace the wiring back from the battery to make sure the relay is getting power.

Is what my money is on. :popcorn:

UPDATE

Well, I got her all assembled and noticed something rather strange; my blinkers weren't working. So, I checked the bottom 20 amp fuse and it was blown. Replaced and the fuse blew again and so on. So, since I am a bit challenged with regards to locating shorts, I too her into the mechanic. Two days later my mechanic tells me that when the Cruiser was painted, the painter wasn't very careful about the wires going up through the windshield and when he put the windshield back in place, the wiring got pinched. This caused the short and is likely the culprit keeping the fuel control relay from doing its thing. I'm headed to the mechanic's on Monday to take the top off and pull the windshield down for him. Thought I'd save a bit of money as he is $75/hr.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom