1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to get rid of paper wasps???

Discussion in 'Chit-Chat' started by treerootCO, Aug 6, 2005.

1. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

Maybe this should be in tech because....they are in my 45s! All of my 45s have wasps in them. Makes it really hard to get pics for the website when those little bastards think they live there.

I have tried the traps that work wonders on yellow jackets. The pheromone doesn't work for paper wasps. I have read to remove the nest at night and spray them at night. Tried capturing one and baiting the trap with him thinking the others would try to help out. Tried punching a hole in a jar full of sugar water as a trap. I haven't trid baiting the trap with meat yet.

Any ideas? Keep in mind I hate bees/wasps and am allergic so I am trying not to be too daring at the moment.

2. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

A suit and then turn loose a stream of compressed air, or pressure washer on them?

3. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    get some Orthro bee killer spray.........just nuke em with that.....at night. I keep a few cans handy, leave a film of crap on the cruisers though

I got em in most my cruisers(they like the rear vents the 60's alot)

3 days ago I got stung 3-5 times by a paper wasp nest in my house, it was in a vent that went into my laundry room, the inside had a screan over it, i nuked em from the outside(in daylight because i was pissed off) then inside right into the nest........next day when I took the nest out.......it prolly was 10lbs of bee's and larvy.....

I hate those fawkers, makes me swell up big time.

4. Mr. Toad

Mr. Toad

Media:
    Albums:
    Rocks? Scissors?

5. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    now dats funny :D

6. nuclearlemon

nuclearlemon not an addict Moderator

Media:
    Albums:
  7. PabloCruise

PabloCruise

Oooooh! Yet another good use for brakeclean!

8. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    Used this stuff on the 20+ paper wasp nests in my garage last week.

Problem solved.

9. incogrhino

incogrhino

That brake cleaner works real good. Thats what I use.Lot cheaper.

10. flintknapper

flintknapper

Berrymans B-12.........best wasp/hornet/bee,ant,spider, killer around. Cleans a carburetor and intake pretty good too.

11. IDave

IDave

Media:
    Albums:
    How do you guys get the berrymans or brake cleaner to the wasp nests? Most of those I went after are about 10-15 feet up in the rafters.

12. lx450landcruiser

lx450landcruiser Moderator

dude get some of those 40,000 sq ft smoke bombs drop one in each truck and there gone

mike

13. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

14. brian

brian SILVER Star

hehehehehhe

15. T Y L E R

T Y L E R

Umm tellin the elders .. :flipoff2:

16. MiniPigg

MiniPigg

Media:
    Albums:
    Ahh... one of me favorite past times.... When I was a teenager my dad owned a hotrod shop where they would do the complete car from the ground up. Part of that he had dual ownership in an uphostery shop. Well me being the oldest I was free labor. During the summer months we would get a crap load of wasp's, yellow jackets, etc.. Here is where the fun part comes into play.. The staple guns are ran with an air compressor. We had like 20 foot ceilings. I would grab a staple gun in each hand and pretend like I was anti-aircraft guns. It was cool because the staple guns would shot so many staples a second you could see them enough to hit the wasps like 15 feet away. Like having a mini-gun in each hand. The second method was to use the 3M adhesive spray. This is a sweet way to do it because the glu shots out in a stream like that silly string. And it can reach pretty far away... when it hits the wasps it would wrap them in a net of the stuff and would kill them before they hit the ground due to the high vapors put off from the adhesive. That stuff put off so much vapor it bubbles after you spray it.
    Ahh yes a third method. Not as fun but funny as hell. My dog Caesar. He was a mix. Both parrents AKC champoins. Dad was dark german shepherd, mom was a doberman. Why a mix with champion dogs?... well lets just say mommy got out. They were going to distory the puppies but I wanted one as did others so my mom was able to talk the owner of the dobie to allow them to live.... I got to pick first. Caesar look like a fricken bear when he was just 7 months old. Huge neck and front chest from pulling weight sleds around. Anyway what would happen is this... we would get some paper wasps start to build nests in the windows of a shop we had.... When we would use that shop there would be some decent sized nests in there... Caesar would eat them. You couldnt stop him either... I dont understand how he could go thru so many stings and not bother him... afterwards his face would be puffy... he looked like some sorta nuclear genetic mutant dog.

17. osagecruiser

osagecruiser

dish soap.with water...in a spray bottle the soap coats the body of the wasp and they suffocate....drops em to the ground quick but takes awhile to die...shoe helps for that :cool:

18. Landpimp

Landpimp GOLD Star

Media:
    yup, thats the stuff I use, works very well, fast and shoots a long ways, if you brave you can try to pick em out of the air......don't kill em instantly but it will wieght em down.

my favotite(in my youth) method for catiplers........WD40 and a lighter...

19. bh4rnnr

bh4rnnr

Why dont you start charging rent? :flipoff2:

20. treerootCO

treerootCO Where are my keys?! SILVER Star

I could but it is so hard to find renters that would respect the place. They would probably end up trashing the place.

I decided to put the sun visors in a safe place because I have a good set in the no roof model 45lv and....should have seen that coming....wasps! They had a nest between the visor and the windshield frame. There are nests at all four corners of two of the wagons. One of them has a huge nest inside the door. I know that because I made the mistake of opening it.

I modified my sugar water traps and caught one so far. The hole in the lid was too small I think.

The pharamone trap caught about 10 of the bastards, probably canibals or something so the dead ones are now the bait.