How to get rid of mud stains? (2 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

musthave

Doc says I'm 1 in 120K. Lucky?
Supporting Vendor
Threads
There is a rather particular type of red clay in north Georgia. It seems to permeate even the best tires. Leaving stains that are apparently impossible to remove. I’m wondering if anyone else has come up with something that removes mud stains from tires.

I’ve tried purple power extreme, simple green of every type, bleach, clr, and lots of scrubbing. It seems like it still won’t come out.

Any suggestions? Another excuse to go buy new tires perhaps. These ones aren’t even six months old though so I’m not sure if I will get away with that.

steam pressure wash. it opens the pours on the rubber and blasts all those memories away
I hadn’t thought of or tried that yet. But I will.

Be careful with the cleaners, they destroy the rubber compounds and will cause the casings to severely crack over time. Used 409 on my BFGs years ago, within 6 months I had to replace them. The purple power and simple green may have already done some damage.

Be careful with the cleaners, they destroy the rubber compounds and will cause the casings to severely crack over time. Used 409 on my BFGs years ago, within 6 months I had to replace them. The purple power and simple green may have already done some damage.
What I heard is that my tires are probably damaged and I need bigger ones and a steam pressure washer.

We have the same thing where I live. The dreaded Red Clay.

In our region it is common for folks to remove their shoes when entering the house because it tracks up the carpet and simply can not be removed.

It stains aluminum and yes even tires.

The advice above to steam pressure wash (lightly) is your best bet. Of the cleaners you have already used, most are designed to dissolve grease and will not effect Red Clay stains. A slightly acidic solution can work (marginally) but will etch aluminum and can't be good for tire rubber.

Odds are good that your sidewalls will start showing crazing and cracks in the not too distant future from the cleaners you have already tried.

I use Black Magic tire dressing on the tires sidewalls periodically to help repel the mud permeating the rubber and avoid letting the clay dry before washing off. But in the end its just one of the inconveniences of living where I do.

Normally, I leave the Land Cruiser at home when I have Ranch work to do and its muddy. Take one of my Bronco's.

Mud.jpg

Whites tire cleaner. It seems to draw everything out of the rubber. Followed by Black magic tire dressing. Scrubbing is the only way I can get the filth off.

Prophylactic treatment of the tires is probably the best way to deal with the situation, I will let you mudders have fun with this one...:popcorn:

There is a rather particular type of red clay in north Georgia. It seems to permeate even the best tires. Leaving stains that are apparently impossible to remove. I’m wondering if anyone else has come up with something that removes mud stains from tires.

I’ve tried purple power extreme, simple green of every type, bleach, clr, and lots of scrubbing. It seems like it still won’t come out.

Any suggestions? Another excuse to go buy new tires perhaps. These ones aren’t even six months old though so I’m not sure if I will get away with that.
Dawn dishsoap and baking soda in some water. Scrub.
Boom.

Dawn dishsoap and baking soda in some water. Scrub.
Boom.

Clean your hands really well, yeah.

Sadly, not going to remove Red Clay stains from tires, wheels, etc....

Where are you taking your truck? Concours d'Elegance? Leave it. Wear the stains like a badge of honor.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom