How to get/make OEM-style steel FJ43 hard top? (Similar to FJ Company) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm considering an FJ43 sold locally but it has an aftermarket fiberglass hard top. I think the truck proportions of the 43s look amazing, but the aftermarket tops look wacky, in my opinion. If I go for it, I will likely switch to either an OEM style soft top, or preferably an OEM style steel hard top (if these even exist). I have NEVER seen FJ43 steel hard top/sides for sale though... However, the FJ company seems to have access to quite a few of them. Do they fabricate them? If so, how big of a job would it be to fuse 2 fj40 hard tops to make 1 FJ43 hard top? Are the H and L dimensions the same? Has anyone here done this?

The BJ46 have a factory hard top. What your seeing is probably a Columbian locally made top. A certain percentage of the vehicle had to be made locally so all the hard top from there are aftermarket. Other option would be to use two FJ40 tops to make one that fits. Hardest part is sourcing the small window behind the larger side window.

The BJ46 have a factory hard top. What your seeing is probably a Columbian locally made top. A certain percentage of the vehicle had to be made locally so all the hard top from there are aftermarket. Other option would be to use two FJ40 tops to make one that fits. Hardest part is sourcing the small window behind the larger side window.
That’s what I was thinking would be tricky as well. Any idea where that would come from?

My 43 has the MPR fiberglass top which is pretty solid. Are you sure FJco is using steel?

There was an MPR top in the classifieds. Look up @sandergielen he has a Colombian connection

7AF8A811-54CD-41AA-85A5-65E93354B217.jpeg

I have seen the FJ Companies work up close at SEMA two years ago. They weld in extension panels on both sides with windows above. Appeared very much like the BJ44 and 46 photo above. I am sure one could be made by a competant welder/fabricator. Their welds in the out side were quite visible. But , WAY better looking than the aftermarket ones I have also seen firsthand. Many folks with them complain of lots of wind noise.

A competent body fabricator or do-it-yourself person could stretch stock 40 sides either by grafting two tops or by adding more sheetmetal without the ugly weld seams.

There are many examples here of people replacing rusted out body sections and welding in new metal with no evidence of the actual work.

The factory tops have the same ugly weld seams and a very obviously a 40 series with a panel added

20181221_111821.jpg

It looks like a rear fender well patch on the quarter in the background. What is the story there?

Following... would like to get one as well instead of trying to splice 2 40 tops

I've not seen one of the 43 tops in person.... based on what I've seen, I believe an ambulance door window turned on its side would be very close in size. I believe either the gasket or the whole window could be used as a window in the "filler" panel. If I unlimited time and energy, I'd stretch my 40 when I replace my 1/4s and stretch my hardtop to match. Even stretching the fiberglass hardtop could be done quite easily by anyone with experience in fiberglass work.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom