How to get drive shaft bolt off... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Hi all, i'm replacing the stock parking brake drum on my FJ55 with a disc conversion i got from man a fre (http://www.man-a-fre.com/parts_acces...akeconvkit.htm). i got my drive shaft off, but there's a bolt in the center of the parking brake drum that is stuck pretty tight (see attached photo). Is there a trick to getting it off? i've tried an impact wrench, wacking a really long wrench with a rubber mallet, and even torching it to no avail.

any suggestions?

IMG_3265_small.jpg

Well, you already have it turned past the staked part, so turn it the rest of the way off. :D

Seriously, it'll be on there tight, but it should also be staked into that partial keyway you see on the end of the shaft. It might still be staked near the top (I can't see that too well). I find that it helps to weaken the staked portion with a Dremel and a chain-saw stone. That makes it easier for the staked part to bust out when you turn it.

It's staked to prevent it from backing out.

Last edited:
Howdy! Your new disc brake setup may not work much better than the stocker unless you also replace the grease seal in the speedo gear housing. It is not listed as part of the kit from MAF. Your old brake would work a bit better if it wasn't full of gear oil. This is such a common problem that there is even a double seal arrangement available aftermarket. John

Contact Gary Kardum for the double-seal speedo housing.

MCC - Mudrak Custom Cruiser

Is any part of that rear shaft nut still staked? You should be able to reef on it and back it off. Have you tried putting a breaker bar with a cheater to it?

Where are you located? Have any other cruiserheads nearby, somebody with experience to help you through it?

Last edited:
Hey, by the way, you need to drain that transfer case before you pull that nut and drum off. That drum and the seal in the speedo housing keep the oil in the transfer case. :D

Standard gear oil. 80-90 Wt.

Is your front drive shaft in? If so, put the t/case in 4wd, lock the front hubs, set the parking brake, choke the wheels and loosen the nut. Remember righty-tighty, lefty-loosey.

Good luck.

"choke" the wheels?

since it's a staked nut, should i replace it with a new one when i put this back together? is it a common nut? can i get it at an auto parts store, or is this going to be another toyota parts chase?

i've tried an impact wrench

Welcome.

Impact wrench? Is this air operated?

I have not ever run into one of these stake nuts that a good half-inch drive air impact wrench has not been able to remove....

since it's a staked nut, should i replace it with a new one when i put this back together? is it a common nut? can i get it at an auto parts store, or is this going to be another toyota parts chase?

Yes you should replace it with a new one. It is a Toyota part, but MAF should have it as well. Bring your old one with you.

If you decide to reuse the stake nut, I would at a minimum use red loctite 271 <---- this is a link thread lock compound.

:beer:

oh, chock. yeah. i know what that means. :). you said choke. i thought maybe it was something different.

it's a half inch air impact wrench. didn't budge it.

i know what loctite is. i got a bunch of the red around.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom