How to find out year? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just sold my last 40 3 weeks ago and took delivery of a new one a couple days ago. PO told me it was a 67 but when I got it registered it said it is a 62. Can anyone tell me certain things to look for to differentiate between the years? Thx a ton

Lot of things between 62 and 67. Easier to just post some pictures then create a list of changes. Go can go tp Specter Off Road site and find the VIN year chart that goes back to 64. 62 won't be on it. 62 is Probably under FJ40~2XXXX.

Post some pictures, people will identify it well, even if it is a combination of parts they will tell you what all years they are from. Windshield and Dash are the easy ones to spot. 1962 windshield will have a vent on the bottom of frame.

yota1.JPG
yota2.JPG
yota3.JPG
yota4.JPG
yota5.JPG

Nothing on the cruiser makes it look like a 62. Rear tail lights were used 69 to 73. 64 to 68 are hard to find complete. Hub caps started early in 69 and still sold new today. Looking quick everything else looks right for a 67 including the VIN

Nothing on the cruiser makes it look like a 62. Rear tail lights were used 69 to 73. 64 to 68 are hard to find complete. Hub caps started early in 69 and still sold new today. Looking quick everything else looks right for a 67 including the VIN

I put the rims and caps on. It came with awful rims.

From the pictures it looks like who ever restored it did a pretty good job. I would get the correct round turn signals for the front fenders. Believe those are still available new.

Just noticed the bumpers for the hood are for a later model. Depending how original the drive train is this cruiser look to be pretty original except for the color which wasn't used for another ten years.

Yeah all the drive train motor are original with 52k miles. The original color was a light mint green. Vary pleased with the cleanliness. What latches and lights should I get to move towards all original?

Should be a third reflector that is located on the back above the Toyota emblem. You can see the two holes to mount it. The tail lights are just was wide as the crossmember. Light is pretty to find its the mounting bracket and molded housing that protects that are harder to find. You have the correct clear parking lights on the bib. Turn signals should be round. on the bumpers for the windshield on the hood. They should be one level. Only high as the lower level. Cover on the seats I believe were coral not grey. Also should have the early style hub caps. The wheels were black so that is right.

That is a sweet rig. I would just drive it if it were me. The title is wrong, can you fix it? Original is nice but unless your going to fix the color of everything and the title. I think it looks awesome just like it is.

Hard to read your frame number, but guessing it starts with a fj40-4... starting with a 4 is way to high a number for even the frame to be 62. Sounds like the DMV made a typo. The year/title is tied to the frame not the engine.

It says FJ40-4985

Thx for the compliments and help!

Sand the frame where the VIN is stamped and find the last digit. Toyota started the FJ40 production with 10001. My earliest 61 FJ40 is 10202. About four have shown up lower but all those are still over 10000.

On my 9/67, 68 model the VIN plate under the hood is on the passenger's fender below where the battery is mounted. I would look there to see if there is a plate there or holes from where a VIN plate would have been. That plate would also have the complete number stamped into it.

FJ-49851 I looked under the hood by the battery. Plate is attached to the inside fender

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom