How to find bad wheel sensor in TIS (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have TechStream hooked up and basically have no idea what I'm doing. It looks like all four wheel speed sensors agree on the current speed of the vehicle when driving, but I also see these codes when looking in TechStream.

I did have an issue with a loose positive battery connection which I fixed (a while back) so I wonder if the low voltage is from that previous issue. Not sure if I need to somehow clear that code out or not.

But I don't really know what to make of this data - can anyone help me out here? This screenshot was taken when the "ABS" "VSC TRAC" and "VSC OFF" lights were illuminated as shown in the picture below

IMG_5313.jpg

IMG_5053.jpg

I should also mention that the lights come on intermittently - maybe about 50% of drives I'll see them come on. Sometimes they will be on from the time the car is started, but more often it'll come on at some point during the drive, and will some times turn off during the drive, too.

No experience with techstream but why don't these results lead you to believe the RH front sensor is bad?

I should also mention that the lights come on intermittently - maybe about 50% of drives I'll see them come on. Sometimes they will be on from the time the car is started, but more often it'll come on at some point during the drive, and will some times turn off during the drive, too.
I have been having the exact same issue on my 200. I have Techstream and the FSMs. I also have a scan tool that reports diagnostic codes.
Here is a link to thread on the download of the FSMs -> FSM for 200 series - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/fsm-for-200-series.765372/page-6#post-14229850
That thread also covers how to setup the FSMs on your computer so that you can use them appropriately.
Using the FSMs, you can see that the wheel speed sensor signal is an input for many of the systems in the vehicle (ABS, Traction control, DHA, stability control, etc.). Seeing how the system(s) work, it is easy to understand how one bad or intermittent wheel speed sensor can set off the Christmas tree lights in the dash.
Very likely you have a wheel speed sensor that has either gone bad or has some crap on the end of it. If not, then you might have a faulty wire in the sensor harness or plugs that are not fully seated causing intermittent disconnections of the signals.
Good luck and let us know what you figure out.
-Sean

Thanks for the reply - I had the wheel speed sensor replaced and all is good now. It was the one that Techstream identified - which I suppose shouldn't be a huge surprise.

Thanks for the reply - I had the wheel speed sensor replaced and all is good now. It was the one that Techstream identified - which I suppose shouldn't be a huge surprise.
Was it replaced at the dealership? And how much did it cost you?

Local mechanic - $365 for the part and labor is hard to say cause I also had both wheel bearing replaced in the same labor line item which was $550 (2x wheel bearings + ABS sensor replacement). Had a lot more work done at the same time - car is new to me and had a number of issues to tidy up.

Thanks for the info. That doesn’t sound too bad for all that work.
Glad to hear that it all worked out.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom