How to drill a hole in a relay rod. (pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Trollhole

THC
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Website
forum.ih8mud.com
Well I had no choice yesterday and had to fab up my own relay rod to connect to the pitman arm. I went to the local NAPA and thought I had bought a standard 11/16 x18 right hand thread tie rod. Ended up being metric. But I had to buy the tap anyway. Found a place near me called Travers tool and supply ( www.travers.com )that has every tool in the world. Big catalog company. They hooked me up with the metric tap the drill bit and the taper for the pitman arm.

Now all I had to do is drill a straight hole 3 inches into the rod. Not as easy as it seems. I used a test piece that I had cut off to see if I knew what I was doing. This is the jig I came up with. Worked perfect! Now I can tap any relay rod Like a trail spare in no time flat.

IMG_5458.jpg

IMG_5459.jpg

And I couldn't have done without this baby. THrough all my cruiser mods. I say it's right up there with my welder as one of the most used pieces in the shop and saves a heck of a lot of time. Click and walk away it does all the rest. You know it's done when the metal hits the floor. I love that sound. Especially when its a 1/2 inch x 4inch thick metal that would have taken me 30 minutes to sawzaw through.

IMG_5460.jpg

oooooooo...i like the hack saw, i wish i had one of those :frown: ;) :D

nice work on the jig too :cheers:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom