How to drain OEM winch oil? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Looking to replace the oil in the OEM winch as I'll wager it's never been done. Looking at the FSM, it's the same plug for removing and refilling (at 3 o'clock). I'm a bit confused, how do you get the oil out (and back in)? Do I need to siphon it, and use some sort of a thin pipe to inject it back? Or is there a separate drain plug I'm missing?

Ok, belay that question. After unspooling and re-spooling the winch, I think a seal let go and the oil has helped itself onto my driveway. :bang::rofl: The good news is that it was completely red in colour, so I guess it was changed at some point in the past... and the bad news is that, well, it's no longer inside the winch.

I guess I now have to disassemble it and see where it's leaking from... how heavy is this thing / do I need anything for this? Is this something I can do in my driveway with no special tools, or should I go to a shop for this?

I saw someone installed oem winch with a Hydraulic Floor Jack on youtube before. Based on that, i guess you are able to it on your driveway.

Ok. Worth giving it a go I guess.

Btw I wonder - is the normal position of the winch engage lever supposed to be “free” or “engaged”? I wonder if I blew a seal by leaving it as engaged?

Ok. Worth giving it a go I guess.

Btw I wonder - is the normal position of the winch engage lever supposed to be “free” or “engaged”? I wonder if I blew a seal by leaving it as engaged?
I thought engaged means gears inside are engaged. It’s like the car’s transmission N and D. Wouldn’t blew a seal for that. But I don’t know.

Looking to replace the oil in the OEM winch as I'll wager it's never been done. Looking at the FSM, it's the same plug for removing and refilling (at 3 o'clock). I'm a bit confused, how do you get the oil out (and back in)? Do I need to siphon it, and use some sort of a thin pipe to inject it back? Or is there a separate drain plug I'm missing?

hey there my friend from the Great White North .... :popcorn:
having a RARE 80 SERIES OEM winch and NOT posting photos all about it , is not smiled upon by the YANK's to your Southern Border
i personally have never seen one ?

- i am HYPER aware if there is a slip between a cup and my lip here , like asking if its ELECTRIC or a PTO style , ?

i may cement myself a Fools Fool for eternity on this topic :confused:

- so i am enacting MUD MEMBERS Bill of Rights here #12 , : PHOTOS or it Does Not Exist .....:lol:
-

thanks

PTO winch image 1 - Copy - 11.png

7f04bcf6e63c0563c68b90db8521d6d9 - Copy - Copy.jpg

hey there my friend from the Great White North .... :popcorn:
having a RARE 80 SERIES OEM winch and NOT posting photos all about it , is not smiled upon by the YANK's to your Southern Border
i personally have never seen one ?

- i am HYPER aware if there is a slip between a cup and my lip here , like asking if its ELECTRIC or a PTO style , ?

i may cement myself a Fools Fool for eternity on this topic :confused:

- so i am enacting MUD MEMBERS Bill of Rights here #12 , : PHOTOS or it Does Not Exist .....:lol:
-

thanks

Haha. I am currently not there, and there's another thread about how I'm trying to legalise this thing ... which I should update :D

One day it'll make it up to the GWN though ... some day!

Haha. I am currently not there, and there's another thread about how I'm trying to legalise this thing ... which I should update :D

One day it'll make it up to the GWN though ... some day!

you dodged my special needs request to simply see any kool, pics of a OEM 80 series winch .....?

lets see this

i want to know where the Wind and Unwind shifter sticks up through the floor ...:D

Haha my bad, you wanted pics of the _winch_ , not the car .. will do when it's light out. All in its ATF oil-covered glory. Car looks like it's bleeding now. :rofl:

Haha my bad, you wanted pics of the _winch_ , not the car .. will do when it's light out. All in its ATF oil-covered glory. Car looks like it's bleeding now. :rofl:

well .....

im not saying where my
DEX III Fully Synthetic MOBIL1 point of precision entry is till you chop chop with those TECH. Pics ......

im putting my new to me little pet ( goliath ) here on my 5/89 FJ62LG-PNEK :cool:

89a-winch-assembled.jpeg

well .....

im not saying where my
DEX III Fully Synthetic MOBIL1 point of precision entry is till you chop chop with those TECH. Pics ......

im putting my new to me little pet ( goliath ) here on my 5/89 FJ62LG-PNEK :cool:

89a-winch-assembled.jpeg

Damn that's nice. Is that from Wits End? I came across their stripdown and rebuild of a winch and it kinda looks like that. So pretty.

Damn that's nice. Is that from Wits End? I came across their stripdown and rebuild of a winch and it kinda looks like that. So pretty.

i still want to see those 80 series OEM winch pics ....... :popcorn:

don't worry , i will be returning his winch after lunch ....

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom