how to do lean drop carb adj w/air cleaner in place? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lovetoski

SILVER Star
Threads
I did a bunch of engine work today - valves, timing, idle adj. Couldn't figure out the right way to adj the idle though. I drilled out the idle mixture screw, and was going to do the "lean drop" method for idle adj. (As per instructions in the tuneup and emissions manuals). However, the instructions call for doing the lean drop when the air cleaner is in place. The idle mixture screw is on the base of the carb, between the carb and the valve cover. This puts it right under the air cleaner - effectively out of reach. I could not figure out a way to get a screwdriver in there to turn the idle mixture screw.

Any advice/tips mucho appreciated.

Tinker said:
Don't believe you can - would love to hear how, though!
No, it can be done, but it takes a screwdriver of exactly the right length, a good deal of finger dexterity and a little bit of gynastics to lean over the air cleaner. I found if I tried to do it first with the AC off for practice, it was much easier to do with it on.

Cruisergreg said:
No, it can be done, but it takes a screwdriver of exactly the right length

Cool - thanks! Did you use a long screwdriver that you held above the AC, or a short one that fit under the AC?

You can simulate the air cleaner beingin place pretty closely by placing a gloved hand over the carb causing a very slight air restriction while you are making your adjustments.

lovetoski said:
Did you use a long screwdriver that you held above the AC, or a short one that fit under the AC?
Short one that fit below the cleaner.

Cruisergreg said:
Short one that fit below the cleaner.

Second that. And it DOES help to have tried it with the air cleaner off. ;)

It can be done with a LONG screwdriver too. Not bragging, but I have an 8-inch one. :flipoff2: Lean over the driver's fender and come at the idle mix screw from the firewall side. A flashlight aimed at the screw from the front side of the engine is helpful too as you peer down at the screw.

I use a small screwdriver to adjust it with the air cleaner in place. I just put the screwdriver in place before I put back on the air cleaner. Also wear a glove to protect hand cause it can get hot.

do you guys disconnect one of the throttle linkage rods while adjusting the carb? I was fighting to drop the idle on mine, I could not get it below 1000. turned out that the linkage was tugging on it.

I don't disconnect anything while adjusting it. Seems like it could throw it off after you reconnected things. Sounds like a linkage problem.

Just take the fricking air cleaner off & adjust it. There shouldn't be much if any restriction through there, anyway. If there is, in theory, it causes a rich condition, but I have found theory mostly to be a long way from practical reality. I have seen filters black with dirt on running cars. No, not mine . .

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom