How to dispose of a full tank of gas (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My 60 sat under a tree for three years before I bought it. The PO topped it off with new gasoline when they decided to sell it but I'm convinced that the gas in the tank is mixed with a lot of condensation (water) and possibly rust. When I bought it I topped it off (one gallon of new gas) and drove it 15 miles before it overheated on the interstate and (I believe) blew the head gasket.

Now I have an almost-full tank of bad gasoline that I don't want to use. How can I dispose of it properly? I could buy five 5 gallon gas containers and take the gas to the hazmat disposal facility in Seattle but I will not realistically have a use for that many gas containers after this task is finished. Any other ideas? Is it possible that my neighbors might have a use for it?

Drain it into gas cans. Take it to the hazardous waste disposal site.

Or drink it. But probably that's not a good idea. So, yeah.....the local independent repair shop will know. Ask them what they do with crap gas.

Drain it into cans and use it for your lawn mower

Any hazardous liquid can become non hazardous if it's spread out thin enough over a large enough area over a long enough period of time. Think of all the millions (billions) of gallons of toxic motor oil that has dripped out of cars over the years - drip by drip.
You get the idea - a little bit at a time.

Any hazardous liquid can become non hazardous if it's spread out thin enough over a large enough area over a long enough period of time. Think of all the millions (billions) of gallons of toxic motor oil that has dripped out of cars over the years - drip by drip.
Color dense, but your kidding, right?

Some substances bio-accumulate so dilution isn't the solution, but gasoline isn't one of them. Since it evaporates you could just leave it in an open vat and let it disappear over time but not in an urban area and it might be a hazard while that happens. It would evaporate pretty quickly if poured over a hot pavement parking lot in small batches.
I'm not recommending any of these options but they would work.

I really hope you are kidding. Thats a bat s*** idea.

Post it for free on Facebook Marketplace or the Craigslist Free Stuff section. It will be gone in under an hour, people go nuts over free stuff.

I’d let it evaporate too. It would happen pretty fast.
Or save it to clean parts.

Buy a clear shaker siphon hose like this: Amazon product ASIN B06X93C7R8
Get a small 1 to 5 gallon poly fuel container Fill the container and watch for discoloration. Try and hold the hose off the bottom of the tank. When you fill the container pour the gas in the container into a large mason jar. Let the water settle to the bottom. Once it does you can pour the good gasoline (clear) into another container and add it a little at a time to your car's gas tank or lawn mower (that is filled mostly with fresh fuel). Dump the water/oil/rust (cloudy and dirty) on the ground that has a lot of peat moss, pot ash etc in it to help absorb it and away from any water sources, wells, creeks etc.

Wear nitrile gloves, take your time and do this a little at a time.

Last edited:
You can also pull the fuel sender in the cargo panel and have a look inside the tank. That would give you an idea of what you're working with.

Cut a steel barrel in two. Dump a gallon in at a time and burn it off, shouldn't take that long.
:beer:

I'm having a hard time figuring out if some of the replies are serious.

The only sensible ones are those involving draining the tank into gas cans and either using them for lawnmowers or the like, which is what I would do, or just taking them to a hazmat disposal center.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom