How to dispose AT & brake fluids ?

Eric,

My local garbage collector refused to take these fluids (only engine oils & filters are accepted).

Frank.

How to dispose AT & brake fluids ? engine coolant too

Not meaning to hijack the thread, but I will anyways.:D

I'd be interested to hear any tips on how people deal with engine coolant in their garages - collection, disposal, etc.

Check with your local recycle center, I know the one in my area of the PRK takes coolant and other hazerdous waste, no questions asked.

Not so legal method's:

Not that I would know anything about this, but for ATF, I have heard of people mixing used motor oil and ATF, looks and smells like used motor oil. For coolant I have heard of people dumping it down the toilet (animals like Coolant and it is toxic, so it should never go down a storm drain).

Cary

Coolant goes in the toilet. ATF gets mixed in the used oil bucket, which goes to Schucks (/Checker/Kragen). Brake fluid goes in a milk jug that sits on my work bench.

Website
www.the-shed.net
brake fluid burns really well, and a funnel, a pipe with a tap, to drip feed atf means atf also burns really well... :D

Our local tips take up to 20 litre container of waste oil for free, and BF ATF etc can be mixed in, they dont check the contents, you just pour it in a trough which goes into an underground storage tank, which they get pumped when full.

[quote author=sjcruiser link=board=2;threadid=9845;start=msg87025#msg87025 date=1073596526]
What about CA folks ?
Frank.
[/quote]

Your county will be glad to take it off your hands for no charge. Go to http://www.hhw.org and select the HHW Disposal link.

REDDER1

SILVER Star
Just do what I do..

Mix all of it together with used motor oil...and take it to
[glow=red,2,300]AUTOZONE[/glow].

[glow=red,2,300]It is FREE[/glow]

Every autozone store has a used oil recycling tank in the back where they store their inventory. They just take the bucket...ask for your address and pour it in. (they only ask for your address for marketing purposes..but they wont recycle your oil with out you providing it).

I have been to about 6 differrent autozones to drop off oil/tranny/brake fluid..3 of the 6 didnt even ask me for anything..they just told me where the tank was and i poured it in myself and left..they other 3 had one of their employees take it from me to dump in themselves.

Easy..and you can pick up a nice set of fuzzy dice and a "NO FEAR" sticker at the same time.. :D

later..
joe

I leave all my fluids at S.A's mommas shack. She'll take them all.

Otherwise, put into small containers and give them out as presents. Tell the chicks it's high priced bathing oil.

Use it for that slicked back hairdoo.

Lube for Rogue's momma.

Leave a few containers on teh front porch of your local tree hugger.

Take it to the store you bought the new fliuds from - they are supposed to accept it. I have run into shops that refused saying it was obvoiusly "contaminated" - those shops usually recieved a "little present" on their front doorstep the next morning accompanied with me never doing buisiness there again. YMMV.

[quote author=alia176 link=board=2;threadid=9845;start=msg87299#msg87299 date=1073621291]
Take all the fluids to a Jiffy lube type of place and give the guy $5 or a case of beer!
[/quote]

Where are you getting a case of beer for $5?

If all of the fluids are mixed, and contiminate the oil - does this prevent the oil from being recycled (ie creating a situation where hundreds of gallons now need to be disposed of)?

Cheers, Hugh

76FJ40

Old Fart
SILVER Star
I put it in my neighbor's cat's water bowl. Luckily, my neighbor has/had lots of cats.

[quote author=76FJ40 link=board=2;threadid=9845;start=msg87653#msg87653 date=1073668478]
I put it in my neighbor's cat's water bowl. Luckily, my neighbor has/had lots of cats.
[/quote]

Hopefully you have some with your cheerios. :mad:

scottm

SILVER Star
My local independent Audi wrench uses used oil to heat his shop. He appreciates the oil and ATF as long as I'm carefull not to contaminate it even with spray solvents, they clog up his oil heaters. The city told them antifreeze and brake fluid are no problem for our sewage treatment plant. There are a lot of businesses cropping up that collect used oil and sell it to processors, pretty good money I've heard.

Users who are viewing this thread

Top Bottom