How to disconnect AC (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

rfj62

SILVER Star
Threads
I'm starting to tear apart my parts trucks and I need to take off the AC system, how do I do it safely with the freon. Thanks Jeff

If it's R12, the system needs to be professionally drained so that the freon is captured.

There are usually services around that you can call to take care of this for a very reasonable price.

~John

I just cracked my lines open and waited for the PPPSSSSSSS to stop...don't tell PITA or the Democrats

It's not drivable so it needs to be done at the house.

After that how do I capture it?

I figure on a beat parts truck there's probably not much left, i just let it go. i haven't grown any xtra thumbs or anything yet. I did it on my DD on the side of the road trying to get more air to the rad while having an overheating problem 2500 milles from home.

Freon WILL give you severe frostbite if it comes in contact with your skin. You CANNOT capture it unless you have the tools (A/C gauges, tank, recovery machine).

You can try to push on the valve stem with a stick or screwdriver and see if anything comes out or call a guy in and be safe.

It's not drivable so it needs to be done at the house.

After that how do I capture it?
Nothing to capture freon is a gas at normal pressures.

I figure on a beat parts truck there's probably not much left, i just let it go. i haven't grown any xtra thumbs or anything yet. I did it on my DD on the side of the road trying to get more air to the rad while having an overheating problem 2500 milles from home.

In the case of freon the concern isn't a direct threat to health. The worry is that it is a green house gas and will screw up the atmosphere.

R12 doesn't present a toxicological risk in small quantities. In fact, it used to be used as a propellant in bronchial inhalers. Exposure to large quantities can cause CNS depression and cardiac disorders. It's heavier than air so it can accumulate in confined spaces. If it's all your breathing you'll pass out and die. It evaporates very quickly which may cause frostbite.

R12 is non-toxic because it's inert. It takes about 100 years for it decompose which provides plenty of time for it to migrate into the upper atmosphere where it reacts with solar radiation to release chlorine. Chlorine acts as a catalyst to destroy ozone. What was your question?

R12 doesn't present a toxicological risk in small quantities. In fact, it used to be used as a propellant in bronchial inhalers. Exposure to large quantities can cause CNS depression and cardiac disorders. It's heavier than air so it can accumulate in confined spaces. If it's all your breathing you'll pass out and die. It evaporates very quickly which may cause frostbite.

R12 is non-toxic because it's inert. It takes about 100 years for it decompose which provides plenty of time for it to migrate into the upper atmosphere where it reacts with solar radiation to release chlorine. Chlorine acts as a catalyst to destroy ozone. What was your question?
How to get the Genie out of the bottle.

Yeah, I probable should have considered this before I started tearing it apart last weekend. :doh: When I was driving it around last weekend I tried the AC and it was just blowing warm air, I could hear and feel the AC compressor kick on so does that just mean the freon is basically non-existent anyway?

I could hear and feel the AC compressor kick on so does that just mean the freon is basically non-existent anyway?

If the compressor will come on then there is still some pressure in the system. There is a low pressure switch in the system that will prevent compressor operation if there is insufficient freon.

Contrary to other posters, freon, as it is exiting the system to atmosphere is dangerous and will freeze any exposed skin it may come in contact with as it flashes over from a liquid to a gas. Do NOT get near it!! The quantity used as aresol propellants in years past is MUCH less than what is likely still in the A/C system.

Yeah, I probable should have considered this before I started tearing it apart last weekend. :doh: When I was driving it around last weekend I tried the AC and it was just blowing warm air, I could hear and feel the AC compressor kick on so does that just mean the freon is basically non-existent anyway?
I would be willing to bet you could get an AC shop to check the system pressure for free.

I think your ahead of me though, my compressor doesn't even kick on and off.

Is there a reasonably priced kit or something that I can buy at Sears or someplace that I can accomplish this task at home.

Is there a reasonably priced kit or something that I can buy at Sears or someplace that I can accomplish this task at home.

Your options are:

1. professional recovery, preferred and safest option

2. buy the equipment from a place like Harbour Freight, it will cost you.

3. blow it off and hope you don't get caught by a tree hugger or get frostbite. The fines can be steep.

while not PC correct.... get one of the sharder valve tools..... remove shrader valve from fitting... or the easy way.... loosen one of the hoses being careful not to let escaping freon (if any) get in your eyes or skin. Of course as others have said...you are not suppose to vent freon to the atmosphere..

Many of these A/C shops only go through the motion of capturing freon...funny how their caputre device never fills up. Of course you get billed for "new" freon...

Many of these A/C shops only go through the motion of capturing freon...funny how their caputre device never fills up. Of course you get billed for "new" freon...

It may seem that way but most automotive A/C systems take a pound or two, if they are full, less when they are not fully charged, and the freon tanks are 20 lbs or more when full.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom