How to correctly bleed Cluth MC & Slave cyl? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am not gettin any pedal guys.. 77 FJ40 . Master is one year old and I put on a new slave today losing all the MC fluid in the process.
I attached a tube from the slave bleeder to a glass of brake fluid and cracked the bleeder and pumped the mc.. nuttin.
I am thinking becasue the MC is so high and the lines that go to it are verticle I will have to force fluid in from the slave/ bleeder and force the air up ..as thats the path of least resitance for the air?... right?

Am I makin this too hard... I know there are lots of try thi and this but what the proer way? I gotta be on the road monday.
Gotta better method?

thanks

Re:How to correctly bleed MC & Slave cyl?

Here's a trick that comes from motorcycle racing. Sometimes on race day you don't have time to screw around so if something fails or gets damaged (hey, everybody crashes, Don't they?) rip it off and throw on another one. When a crushed master or baked caliper needed changed in a hurry the bleed was always done like this. Remove bleeder and carefully put one wrap of teflon tape on the threads and reinstall. Back it out one full turn. I used a large syringe(about the size of a turkey baster) and a piece of hose to force the fluid backwards through the system pushing the air into the master reservoir. Lockdown the bleeder and test system.

Re:How to correctly bleed MC & Slave cyl?

Cluth master and clutch slave... guess I should have been more clear!

I always gravity bleed the clutch/master cylinder. If its totally dry then of course you will need to bench bleed the master. I do this with a piece of hose going back into the resevoir. Pump clutch until no more air. Then, hook up the line. Now, go to wal-mart and buy 99 cents worth of fish tank tubing. Get a mayo jar or something. Put the line onto the clutch slave bleeder, and cut the hose so it goes to the bottom of the mayo jar. Now, open up the bleeder at least a full turn. Go get a beer. Keep the beer, and a bottle of brake fluid handy. When the master gets a bit low, top it off with brake fluid and drink some beer. DO NOT I REPEAT DO NOT fill it up with beer and drink the brake fluid. ;) :D Anyway just watch the clear hose to see if there are bubbles. If you're in a hurry, you can pump the clutch pedal, too. I usually let it bleed for a while and just leisurely monitor the master :D:D

I've done this. TONS, more than I'd like to admit. Also remember that if you replace the clutch slave or master, to replace them both at the same time. Had a slave cylinder fail on me once. Put a new one in. Master died the next week. NOT uncommon ;)

:banana: :banana: job at the most

Take it easy!

I have no idea why but it can be difficult to get the fluid to go down the first time. Make sure the MC is bench bled hook it up, fill it up and open the bleeder. let it sit for a while. Might need to push it a few times to get fluid moving. Once it flows bleed just like brakes.

I always pressure bleed...two person job. Start with a full master cup.

1> press clutch pedal to floor 3 times slowly, hold on floor
2> crack bleeder, retighten, check cup level
1> press clutch pedal to floor 3 times slowly, hold on floor
2> drack bleeder, retighten, check cup level

<repeat 2-3 more times until all air is free>

Has never failed me....and makes for good quality time with the missus!

BTW: I use this same process for clutches and brakes, in the Cruiser and the MG, and have always had success.

Bench bleed master (can be done on rig), and then bleed the slave using bleeder screw. Very easy to bleed the clutch versus brakes.

As others point out, the tried and true bleeding method works great...and helps one to spend quality time with their significant other...but if she's off with your daughter at a soccer tournament, you might try a speed bleeder. I've got them on brakes and clutch, and now I can say that bleeding is easier than changing the oil!

HTH

Doug Graham
1987 fj60 - 265,000miles

I just finished installing a slave. Here's what I did:

1. drained the fluid throught the bleeder (slave)
2. disconnected the slave from the hose
3. connected the new slave
4. filled the master cup
5. pumped the pedal couple times (bleeder open) to feel
pressure on the pedal
6. filled the cup (bleeder close)
7. get an assistance to pump the pedal and then bleed

everything is working fine for me now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom