how to connect steering? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
so again did a bunch of searching in the FAQ and still cant find what im looking for, what im doing is running a fj40 SUA on 35s and am converting it to disk on the front. now the axle i bought has high steer that im selling as i dont want to notch the frame to make them work. so what do i need to do to hook it up to either a saginaw box and or the stock setup? its going to get power either way just still on the fence on doing a saginaw box or push pull mini truck....

[ 039.jpg a 039.jpg ttach]496625[/attach]
039.jpg

so it turns out i am right up the road from youin virginia city nv.[/ATTACH] if you want to check it out the body is pulled and the 2f is for sale so is the pump this all worked grate i am in the prosess of puting a 350 in and may be streching the frame 12"
043.jpg
044.jpg

haha i was going to ask where you where at with all the snow. ill have to look into a fj60 box.

some say it will not turn big tyers but i like to feel the road or the rocks sagnaw some times is like a cadillac i want to feel it before i brake it. that's just me. yes and some snow it could be worse 2ft

You can check the link in my sig line for a writeup on FJ60 p/s, I have a link to Pablocruise's as well; I modeled mine off of his, mostly.

If you're selling your histeer arms you will need to get stock arms to go back on your knuckles. If you have '79+ FJ40/FJ60/minitruck knuckles they have the larger bolt pattern and are stronger. A draglink can be fabbed to mate up to whatever you want. Pre-'79 FJ40 rod ends can be mated to FJ60 steering arms with a little conical spacer that can be purchased from various vendors. If you keep with the smaller pattern steering arms you will have to figure out a way to get a custom drag link fabbed to have a Saginaw/FJ60 connection on one side and a small pattern FJ40 connection on the other side. But read through Pablocruise's thread; there is some lengthy discussion on it there.

HTH,

You can check the link in my sig line for a writeup on FJ60 p/s, I have a link to Pablocruise's as well; I modeled mine off of his, mostly.

If you're selling your histeer arms you will need to get stock arms to go back on your knuckles. If you have '79+ FJ40/FJ60/minitruck knuckles they have the larger bolt pattern and are stronger. A draglink can be fabbed to mate up to whatever you want. Pre-'79 FJ40 rod ends can be mated to FJ60 steering arms with a little conical spacer that can be purchased from various vendors. If you keep with the smaller pattern steering arms you will have to figure out a way to get a custom drag link fabbed to have a Saginaw/FJ60 connection on one side and a small pattern FJ40 connection on the other side. But read through Pablocruise's thread; there is some lengthy discussion on it there.

HTH,
yeah thats what i was trying to figure out is how i can run a stock mini truck arm with saginaw box. i really dont want to notch the frame just to use the steering i have.

so again did a bunch of searching in the FAQ and still cant find what im looking for, what im doing is running a fj40 SUA on 35s and am converting it to disk on the front. now the axle i bought has high steer that im selling as i dont want to notch the frame to make them work. so what do i need to do to hook it up to either a saginaw box and or the stock setup? its going to get power either way just still on the fence on doing a saginaw box or push pull mini truck....

Why get rid of the highsteer? Notch the frame? I run high steer on the six shooter knuckles on a 76 fj40 front end. SUA 4" lift w/ 35's. I also have the mini truck powersteering set up. No issues. Here is what I did..... The steering arms were tapped for the fj80 rod ends, as yours probally are, so I had a tye rod made at front range off road tapped for the 23mm 80 end. Then for the drag I had front range make one with the 23mm at one end and the 21mm on the other. The 21mm is the same as the largest fj40 rod end and many if not all the stock mini truck. The 21mm rod end taper fit into the center arm of my stock 40 steering perfectly

Why get rid of the highsteer? Notch the frame? I run high steer on the six shooter knuckles on a 76 fj40 front end. SUA 4" lift w/ 35's. I also have the mini truck powersteering set up. No issues. Here is what I did..... The steering arms were tapped for the fj80 rod ends, as yours probally are, so I had a tye rod made at front range off road tapped for the 23mm 80 end. Then for the drag I had front range make one with the 23mm at one end and the 21mm on the other. The 21mm is the same as the largest fj40 rod end and many if not all the stock mini truck. The 21mm rod end taper fit into the center arm of my stock 40 steering perfectly
i just have the arms and TG tierods on it. i dont have the 6 shooter knuckles. i was told unless i did a SOA i wouldnt have enough lift to clear the high steer arms and would run into the frame. i found i have a stock set of fj60 arms left over from my axle swap on my 45.

I haven't measured, but I would bet that the TG six shooters and their H/S arms are the same height off the axle. Take a look at the pics on my page via the sig line. I STUFFED the tires hard on both sides and there wasn't any contact with the frame. The 35's hit the inner fender before the tye rod met the frame.

I would suggest calling Luke at 4x4Labs and talk to him. He is very knowledgeable, friendly and will probably have some good suggestions for you. I am in the process of a Scout II PS mod which is basically a Saginaw box shaped like the FJ60's. Mine is SOA'd, so not the same as you, but I ended up buying his Frombe Hi-Steer kit. It wasn't cheap, but well worth the money. Even if you don't go down that route, I'm sure he'll be happy to spend a few minutes and answer a few questions for you.

i found im just not going to beable to get away with SUA so it will be getting a spring over while im at it so i guess i will be installing highsteer to the list of parts

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom