How to clean/protect frame & underbody? (Pics) (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

85roktoy

SILVER Star
Threads
I’ll soon be taking ownership of this 77. The underbody and frame have the original rubberized coating which is dirty and beginning to peel off in areas. Short of taking the body off how would you address this? There are no rust issues. It’s just dirty.

How about spraying it with a degreaser to clean then just spray painting it all black?? I don’t want to do something to detract from its originality but want to protect it.

3A859D22-090C-4B60-B74B-96C056550763.jpeg

BE981680-19F5-46CC-8A71-A8AB471D2D86.jpeg

6E4706F8-EA07-4FFA-A196-0CFE26572037.jpeg

09FEF203-8828-4AFB-9332-FFC35B12AD96.jpeg

Not sure if it’s the best method, but cleaned my FJ40s undersides with a wire brush and then sand paper where required and then painted with black rustoleum. Then periodically, repeat as necessary. Very dirty job, but has done the trick for me. Planning on blowing out the frame rails this summer and then using fluid film.

East coast truck that is only used before the first snow and then back on the road in spring when all the salt has been fully washed off the roads.

Thanks yes I think that’s what I’ll do. Use degreaser and pressure wash to clean then just spray rustoleum satin under there and reapply as necessary.

Why not clean, paint, then add fluid film?

Your underside looks very nice. I used a very strong pressure washer and it knocked all the loose stuff off. As nice as yours appears to be, I don't see any rust, you could just hose it down with Fluid film as mentioned. If you see rust, treat it with Rust Stop and them FF. Check out Nolan's @wngrog post on Patina preservation. Lots of good info. I bought the Rust Stop from the Ruststore.com. Good luck. Mark

Hammer it with fluid film. Let it soak. Heavy coat on the first pass.

it’s funny. I have a Fj60 I’ve had here for a year that belongs to someone else. Has not been driven at all.

I started working on it again this month and added some fluid film.

Lokking back in the build thread it turns out I had already fluid filmed it a year ago and it had soaked in so nicely I could not even tell it had been applied.

Thanks folks. It is in very good shape no rust I just want to keep it that way. Will be in Florida from now on so I don’t think I’ll have to worry much about it. May just pressure wash then rustoleum everything.

Thanks folks. It is in very good shape no rust I just want to keep it that way. Will be in Florida from now on so I don’t think I’ll have to worry much about it. May just pressure wash then rustoleum everything.
Right. 👍

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom