Windshield glass and wiper replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

ToyotaTrk

SILVER Star
Threads
Ok, weird... There is no instructional or manufacturers details I could find on "How To" replace the wipers. I don't want to bust the clip so not sure how to do it , how much force to use.... Pointers, direction, please - ?? Thanks. Oddly enough I went to the Toyota website , nothing. But, this great offer - WTH... HaHa. An offer to get the blades inspected at the dealer!

Thank you.

Screen Shot 2021-04-20 at 10.27.12 AM.png

It's easier than you think.

Suggestion: before you pull the blade off the arm, put a heavy towel or blanket down on the windshield where the wiper usually parks. If that arm snaps back down on the windshield without the blade installed, it can actually break the windshield. I've seen it happen.

ok, I saw a few of these but didn't look bc I didn't get or see land cruiser listed in title. ill know better next time to look anyway. Tks - they look the same as mine. You should get a job at TNA - just spent 27 minutes on the phone with them and nothing - unbelievable.

lastly - would you out of curiousity recommend replacing the rubber or getting a whole new blade (like I did) ? tks again.

There's a few threads on here about what wipers to use. My preference is to keep the OEM blades and replace just the rubber inserts every Spring, you can find them on Amazon (most dealers won't stock them). I use Bosch Icon winter blades in the winter.

Just replace the rubber. If you have to replace the blade I wouldn't get anything but the OEM.

ok. tks all. well, I blew it this time. ive been meaning to change the blades for a bit now and was off on my timing - we leave this week for a long road trip and thought it was next week. The crack i have along the top of the windshield has been spreading like crazy - started on the outside of the dots, top passenger side and now goes past the wiper arc on the passenger side to about 5" into the driver side..... Wanted to wait until we got back for the windshield change in case we get pinged on the trip. So tomorrow Safelite OEM replacement - never had problems with them but the more I read the more nervous I get using them. Until I go to eye others.... Who knows.... Anyhow, I couldn't find any replacement rubbers at the dealer last minute - one no go and the other had one and the last none till next week. So im gonna use some rainx replacement arms for now and hang on to the oem for next time. Wish me luck!

DO NOT USE SAFELITE.

DO NOT USE SAFELITE.
Why? I've not had to use them for the 200 yet, but they've replaced several of my windshields. Never had an issue.

DO NOT USE SAFELITE.
I know some have had issues. but its always a roll of the dice on anything. ive looked at some of the other companies and its kinda scary at the shop conditions. then some say, the shop is no biggie its the work you look for. ok, I get it. but I think the condition of the shop is indicative of the work. weird, I know - some slobs are great at what they do, etc., etc. etc. its a tough call. but ive used safelite before on some pretty expensive cars - Audi, MB, etc. and never had issues. I even went so far as to get a quote from a local shop recommended and felt very uncomfortable at them not even being too sure on their own numbers. tks for the videos and any feedback.... Wm.

OP - (in Florida anyway) anybody that has comprehensive insurance gets their windshield replaced for free. Why no go to the dealer and get OEM glass? Safelite has a bad rep for using the cheapest products they can source. Probably not applicable to your case, but I know of a case where they came out to a work place, pulled off cracked glass and said they were done becuase there was a touch of rust in a spot or two - said to call them back after a body shop fixed it.

Finally, they may (likely) lack experience in getting the sensors back and functioning correctly. Do a search here on MUD for safelite.

Why? I've not had to use them for the 200 yet, but they've replaced several of my windshields. Never had an issue.

Because there is a huge variation in skill level and you might get a tech that knows what they are doing, or get one that makes it look good, then a year later you are hunting down electrical gremlins and replacing expensive electronic modules under your dash.

Finding an independent shop where you can vet their abilities is a far better way to go.

Ok, weird... There is no instructional or manufacturers details I could find on "How To" replace the wipers. I don't want to bust the clip so not sure how to do it , how much force to use.... Pointers, direction, please - ?? Thanks. Oddly enough I went to the Toyota website , nothing. But, this great offer - WTH... HaHa. An offer to get the blades inspected at the dealer!

Thank you.

View attachment 2650908

Note that the wiper blades most dealers stock are NOT OEM, and not to the same quality, despite the toyota logo clearly on them. They are made by a company called sightline.

Details in this post, and more in the overall thread: New Wipers OE vs Aftermarket - https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/new-wipers-oe-vs-aftermarket.956000/post-12205184

Edit: note that dealers are so accustomed to no one giving a crap about the difference that they have been known to change online parts orders that specify the OEM parts to the sightline one. Personally when I order new frames (I seem to get 2 years in texas sun before the plastic shows age) I also send an email specifying what I want.

Last edited:
OP - (in Florida anyway) anybody that has comprehensive insurance gets their windshield replaced for free. Why no go to the dealer and get OEM glass? Safelite has a bad rep for using the cheapest products they can source. Probably not applicable to your case, but I know of a case where they came out to a work place, pulled off cracked glass and said they were done becuase there was a touch of rust in a spot or two - said to call them back after a body shop fixed it.

Finally, they may (likely) lack experience in getting the sensors back and functioning correctly. Do a search here on MUD for safelite.
I checked with 2 dealers and they both use outside shops. Honestly the choices of dealers here is pretty bad too. The sensors are a bit of a scam too from what I experienced with body work on an Audi A6 and a well know body shop. They like to charge for the calibration, for this particular model A6, about 1300.00 whether one needs it or not. they just tell you up front you'll need it (and build it into the quote) before they even know. But satellite does the same, they want to charge for the calibration up front even though you never know if they really do It or needed it. A few of the dealers have told me that if the glass sensors are put back properly, the system will work w/o the calibration. True or not I don't know - ive never had it done before on a Toyota. If it doesnt work then the calibration will be needed and ill get it done the next day w/ my service at the dealer. $275.00. LA insurance, at least mine w/ usaa does not cover windshield replacement.

A few of the dealers have told me that if the glass sensors are put back properly, the system will work w/o the calibration. True or not I don't know - ive never had it done before on a Toyota. If it doesnt work then the calibration will be needed and ill get it done the next day w/ my service at the dealer. $275.00. LA insurance, at least mine w/ usaa does not cover windshield replacement.

IIRC if the toyota sensors are disconnected the computer knows that and youll have a christmas tree dash until calibration is performed. A trick around that is to leave the sensors connected electronically, in which case the computers don't know anything was done. Thing is if they aren't put back correctly your calibration may be inaccurate.. needless to say this could involve some liability.

Also I put dealers in the same camp as safelite with regard to install quality.. because you have no clue who you will get. Possibly safelite.

I'll be driving 3hrs each way to dallas to get a windshield installed in a few weeks because I found an installer there I trust. VidrioKar, if anyone is wondering. He has a LX570 video on youtube and as OCD as I am about things I'm very happy with his attention to detail.

FWIW, the insert part numbers for at least ‘16+ are

85214-0T040
85215-06140
85214-42040

R
L
Rear

Rubber inserts take 5 minutes to swap out. The whole wiper set takes 2 minutes. Just depends on how much time you want to spend.

I bought a new set of the whole wiper and kept the originals and swapped the rubber inserts in those. Now I have spares all the time.

Amazon product ASIN B002Y30HPYAmazon product ASIN B002Y37K4Uhttps://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00NPZSMH0/ref=ox_sc_saved_title_3?smid=ATVPDKIKX0DER&psc=1

Is it true…that if order the WHOLE assembly/set, then it is the OEM. But if you just get the rubber inserts, then it could be sightline?? Any truth to this?

Is it true…that if order the WHOLE assembly/set, then it is the OEM. But if you just get the rubber inserts, then it could be sightline?? Any truth to this?

sightline doesn't have a known part number to replace just the insert (IMO this is part of why dealers push them.. more parts profit and less time to change), so as far as I know if you order the insert number it will be OEM.

As mentioned above though, sometimes even ordering the specific OEM wiper frame part number will have it be replaced with sightline.

I’ve always received genuine original parts for wipers and refills (not Sightline) from Olathe Toyota parts online. They have never substituted other non-Toyota parts. My local dealer, on the other hand, only stocks the Sightline wipers.

I’ve always received genuine original parts for wipers and refills (not Sightline) from Olathe Toyota parts online. They have never substituted other non-Toyota parts. My local dealer, on the other hand, only stocks the Sightline wipers.
Mine hasn’t subbed it either, though they know me well by now and to roll with my sometimes odd parts requests.

I do remember a thread on here though where someone ordered the correct numbers and was sent sightline. The dealer did make it right but seemed surprised the customer was so specific.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom