How to center steering wheel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I'm sure that this is probably the most elementary question posted on here, but I'm new to FJ40's and need to center the steering wheel. The steering wheel was centered before installing a 4" Skyjacker lift a few weeks ago. I just finished rebuilding the center arm, upper drag link and replacing all tie rod ends and thought maybe I could figure it out while completing that project. &nbsp:Didn't happen. Any suggestions?? :dunno:

when you did the lift it increased the distance from the center arm to the right wheel. what you need to do is lengthen the relay rod. the relay rod will have one left thread end and one right thread. loosen the clamps and rurn the rod to lengthen it. set the wheels streight ahead and adjust rod until steering wheel is streight. you may need to take it for a spin around the block several times making small adjustments each time to get it perfect.

I just finished rebuilding the center arm, upper drag link and replacing all tie rod ends and thought maybe I could figure it out while completing that project.
Go get a Wheel Allignment, Becouse it may be more than just the Relay Rod that is not correct.

pull off the steering wheel and center it when the tires are straight. that would be easiest

If the Steering Box Rod is straight then adjust the Steering Wheel.
If the the Steering Box is not straight then adjust the Relay Rod

If all that was done was the lift springs, then 76fj55  is correct, adjust the relay rod. Pulling the wheel and moving it will leave you with a Cruiser that turns further left than right. Taking it to a good shop is the best, but not required. This assumes you matched the overall length of the rods after you replaced the TRE's.

When replacing the tie rod ends, I measured the distances from zerk to zerk and adjusted to meet the Body and Chassis Manual recommendations. Would replacing the center arm and upper drag link affect the steering wheel? I did measure the drag link relay rod and adjusted the rod end to the correct length as well. Maybe the tie rod end was adjusted was at an incorrect length when the steering wheel was put back on by the PO? :dunno:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom