How To: Belt Moulding Replacement (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Thanks again to @blkprj80 for this post. I just did all six belt mouldings on the LX. Your pointers made it an easy job.

Several of the clips for the front four mouldings (doors) didn’t break and still are serviceable. If they are of use to anyone, PM me and I’ll drop them in the mail. (No longer available. Went to live a new life in a Cruiser on the West coast) Note - rear quarter window moulding clips are different than the front door moulding clips.

CEE15A43-0200-4CE0-962A-8F7E4F5F6835.jpeg

Last edited:
Thanks for this how to, helped me a lot!
I've changed the 4 mouldings for the doors, but they are a different color as the originals. Are there different versions or did the PO paint mine? My old ones are true black and the new ones are matte grey like in this post. (ordered the PN's in this tread)
Could someone maybe shed a light on this?

The quarter belt mouldings have foam, which deteriorates over time, and lets water into your quarter panels. Just replaced mine, and no more water in my quarter panels!

Thanks for this how to, helped me a lot!
I've changed the 4 mouldings for the doors, but they are a different color as the originals. Are there different versions or did the PO paint mine? My old ones are true black and the new ones are matte grey like in this post. (ordered the PN's in this tread)
Could someone maybe shed a light on this?

I've only ever seen the matte finish ones. My guess is that yours had been painted at some point by a PO.

Where did you guys get the parts? What p/ns

Anyone have a contact at Toyota where I can get these? I apparently cannot message Beno and CDan is out of the biz.

Any dealer can obtain them for you.

Sorry to resurrect an old thread bust just doing my passenger side front on my 2005 GX and two of the three bolts for the mirror are way below the inside door panel. I'm guessing this is because I have different mirrors in the Mark Levinson model. Do we really need to take the mirror off? Seems like a huge PITA to remove the door panel.

I found that using a magic eraser on the belt molding makes the plastic look great again and scrubbing the felt cleans it up nice. Those clips break and are expensive to replace. So expensive you might just be better off replacing the belt molding. I'll post that part number when I get home.

My issue was the molding on the inside had deteriorated and was letting in wind noise. Sending PM on the clips. I can use those!

Reviving a slightly old thread. I included the rear door belt mouldings along with new window runs, sound deadening and the inner weatherstrip on the door card. When tested with a hose I have quite a leak on both rear doors with the belt moulding appearing to be the culprit.

I've pulled one moulding and reinstalled to make sure the clips were seating and no luck. Any thoughts? Seemed like easy R&R and some how I messed that up. :bang:

Winter is coming, I don't have a garage and it's causing my rear speakers to short! Thanks in advance.

I may have answered my own question.

Too dark to attempt now, and I'm heading to Step #6 regardless, but it looks like I installed the window runs in the incorrect sides. The part numbers are similar and the labeling doesn't point to a specific side, only front and rear. I'll report back tomorrow on my efforts which I hope are successful as we're forecasted for rain.

Any pointers on getting the quarter panel mouldings off? I didn't see these specifically mentioned in the write-up.

IIRC, they just pop out like the rest. Just be careful near the rear plastic trim.

While the rear quarter panel moldings are off and before you put them back,
be sure to use something to seal the holes for the clips. Originally there was a very thin gasket over those holes, but it deteriorates with age.

I put a small ball of 3M strip caulk in the holes than pressed the clips through that. but any non-hardening sealant that will seal the holes but also allow you to pull it apart again in the future would work. A very thin piece of closed cell foam, 1mm or 1/32", with a slit for the clip might also work. Problem with using
some sort of silicone or urethane is that those will make removing the molding in the future much more difficult IMO.

Thanks for your article, I replaced all the seals plus both side mirrors. Thanks!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom