1. This site uses cookies. By continuing to use this site, you are agreeing to our use of cookies. Learn More.

How to balance a 2F?

Discussion in '40- & 55-Series Tech' started by josephpatrickgray, Feb 16, 2004.

1. josephpatrickgray

josephpatrickgray

I am in the process of rebuilding my 2f. I've heard of balancing an engine to make it run smoother. Anyone ever done this? What is the procedure and is it worth the effort?

Thanks,

Joe

2. Poser

Poser Oh...Durka Durka Durka. s-Moderator Supporting Vendor

Media:
    Albums:
    It is a matter of weighing each piston and rod assembly, and removing a small amount of material from each, so that they all weigh the same.

Is it worth it?

I know pleanty of engines that have not ever had this done to them, that are well over 200,000 in mileage, and still running strong.

If you have the money to have the machine shop perform this while building your engine, it could not hurt...

Good luck!

-Steve

3. Mace

Mace rock scientist.. Staff Member s-Moderator

I had mine done at a machine shop..

Most cruiser motors that I know that have had it done seem to be a bit happier at higher RPM's (I hit 5 grand once, and no I do not reccomend that you do that to a cruiser motor)

But like Poser said, I know of a lot of cruiser motors that have never been balanced and behave perfectly..

4. Rice

Rice SILVER Star

Media:
    Albums:
    Joe,
    The balance of an engine is most important with the installation of new parts such as new pistons on your old rotating assembly (The original stuff was already balanced).

Balancing an engine is not simply a function of making pistons and such weigh the same (that's called matching). Balancing is making sure the bob weights on the crank properly counteract the throws of the journals, i.e. are the rotational dynamics in balance. For longevity of an engine it's worth it.

data-matched-content-rows-num="2,1" data-matched-content-columns-num="1,4" data-matched-content-ui-type="image_stacked" data-ad-format="autorelaxed">