How to approach Suspension (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am a new owner of a 1989 FJ62 Land Cruiser. As I dive in and research these rigs I am a bit overwhelmed. I want to run 315 75r16 sized tires so basically a 35” tire; running 33’s is too vanilla! So how do I fit them under my rig is the logical next question...?

Through my research, in older threads circa 2010. I have found a few ways to do this, but coils is the dream. So how would you guys approach this? What are guys currently doing to their rigs now that it is 2018

With a budget of around $4,000 and limited access to welders what are my best options?
— Spring Over Axle
— 80 series chassis swap
— Custom coil setup mimicking 80 series on my 60 series
— Go the route of 4inch OME kit from Man-a-Fre

X2 on the last choice.

Adding that extra inch of ground clearance going 35s is really going to cost you in:

Suspension change
Gear change
Handling
Mpg
Braking distance
Body sway
Strain on power steering
Acceleration
Unsprung weight

Bottom line is you've really gotta love 35s over 33s to want to put up with all the pain they bring to a 62.

The ultimate goal is to put a diesel in the cruiser, although that is a few years down the line I want to set up as much as possible so I won’t have to rework when I do the swap. I also didn’t mention that I already have the tires, they have been on the rigors lift and do a little bit of rubbing. I didn’t notice too much loss in acceleration nor braking. I don’t doubt they will wear parts quicker but off-roading and overlanding will do more to wear than tires. MPGs are lousy whether I have 31’s or 35’s.

It seems a lot of people are against 35’s on these rigs. Am I missing something that others are seeing, I’ve been told I’m stubborn.

Don’t forget new axle gear ratios, if you want to run 35” tires AND keep the auto transmission alive long enough to enjoy cruising.

I have 35's on my 60. It wasn't that hard, nor expensive. 3" OME suspension, 1.5" body lift, mild trim to inner front fender, 1" extension to bump stop on front.

I have 35's on my 60. It wasn't that hard, nor expensive. 3" OME suspension, 1.5" body lift, mild trim to inner front fender, 1" extension to bump stop on front.
Do you think you could have cleared doing a larger suspension lift like a 4” instead of doing a body lift? Or is the body lift necessary?

I am certain that there are spring-lift options that enable 35's, but don't know what to recommend. Body lift means you don't lift the frame, driveline, fuel tank. COG stays lower, which is better for stability.

The closest you are going to get with access to a welder at the 4000 price range is the sprung over and that still wont be enough $$$$ unless you do all the work yourself. And definitely put an external trans cooler on it asap. The frame swap is way way above your budget so is coil over setup and alot more work when i say alot i mean s*** ton. Would you be putting on the bolt on lift kit or get someone else to install if your not doing it the 4000 might not be enough i am not sure how much the lift kit costs. You say you want to do a diesel swap i would wait till then to go 35s.

The closest you are going to get with access to a welder at the 4000 price range is the sprung over and that still wont be enough $$$$ unless you do all the work yourself. And definitely put an external trans cooler on it asap. The frame swap is way way above your budget so is coil over setup and alot more work when i say alot i mean s*** ton. Would you be putting on the bolt on lift kit or get someone else to install if your not doing it the 4000 might not be enough i am not sure how much the lift kit costs. You say you want to do a diesel swap i would wait till then to go 35s.
I would be installing a lift kit, that is within my realm of skills. Welding on the other hand is something I’ve done a couple times in high school shop class, so I am not a welder. Realistically the only way I gain clearance is bigger tires; the axle is going to sit in the same spot and tires are only gonna move it up or down. So as long as I can make the tires fit then I should be good to go. A trans cooler is a great idea, I had thought about it but it’ll definitely be higher on the list now.

After I get out of the navy I plan on going back to school to get a Mechanical Engineering degree, I don’t see why designing a coil suspension couldn’t be a project for some classes

You already have the tires on the truck correct? If so transmission cooler needs to be done now...also make sure the oil galley plug fix is done.

Haha these threads crack me up. Since you just got it, go drive it on some trips. It won't look as cool as your buddy's jeep on 37s but you will learn what the truck truly needs to be a good rig on wheeling trips, no one likes the guy that constantly breaks down because of poor maintenance (unless he buys everyone food/beer).

If its just a garage queen, tear it apart, get some buddys who are good at fab work and have them help you along with soa/cut and turn. You'll learn quick that your budget isn't realistic, but that is what learning is for :)

Oh and have fun! We sure did @ SAS.

@mattressking you hit the nail on the head, as I’m realizing. Here I am overthinking it instead of going out and having fun with it! She’ll get where she needs to be eventually! What would a realistic budget look like?

@tmxmotorsports the new shoes have only been on for a couple short trips, she is still running the stock rims and 31” tires right now until I lift it. What are your recommendations for trans cooler? I’m not familiar with the oil galley plug fix.

Look at the faq section you will find the oil galley plug fix there a some threads about the transmission cooler installs here i would post a link or something but i don't know how to do that or tell you to use the search function but it never works for me never find what i am looking for. I think maybe a guide to how to use the search function should be in the faq section hahahaha

The ultimate goal is to put a diesel in the cruiser, although that is a few years down the line I want to set up as much as possible so I won’t have to rework when I do the swap. I also didn’t mention that I already have the tires, they have been on the rigors lift and do a little bit of rubbing. I didn’t notice too much loss in acceleration nor braking. I don’t doubt they will wear parts quicker but off-roading and overlanding will do more to wear than tires. MPGs are lousy whether I have 31’s or 35’s.

It seems a lot of people are against 35’s on these rigs. Am I missing something that others are seeing, I’ve been told I’m stubborn.

The wheel wells on 60 series are a bit smaller, so naturally a 33" tire just looks "right" as far as proportions go. I just came from an 80 series wagon where a 35" tire looks proportionally "right" on those rigs. As others are saying, drive your rig and see what you can do from a driver skill standpoint before you take your truck to another level. After all, it's really mostly all driver when it comes to getting a truck through the trail.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom