how to adjust steering after new tie rod ends (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

lx450landcruiser

Threads
ok just did tir rtod ends last night but how do i get ther perfectly adjusted? just tigtn till the wheels look strait or what?

thanks mike

P.S. rod ends were a piece of cake
thanks for the help

If you have a manual (Haynes works for this one), there is a specific measurement between the tie-rod centers. I measured mine from grease fitting to grease fitting. Make sure you do all of them including the drag arm link. If you have oversize tires, you may want to toe in the tires 1/8".. that seemed to work best for me. Sorry I dont have the specs, maybe someone else has them. Anyone?

Here you go
Tie-rod = 1205mm (47.44 in.)
Relay rod = 827mm (32.56 in.)
Drag link = 855mm (33.66 in.)
Toe-in = 3-5mm (0.12-0.20 in.)
If you have bigger tires you'll need a little more toe-in

Old shade-tree mechanic showed me how he did it. Foget the tape measure..... get a long stick that's long enough to reach from center of one tire to the other. Put a piece of adhesive tape roughly at the center of the tread on each tire and make a mark on the each little patch of tape. On flat ground with the two pieces of tape toward the front and one end of the stick at one mark, mark the stick where it aligns with the mark on the opposite tire. Roll/drive the vehicle forward or backward to put the pieces of tape at the rear (180 degrees). The front should (hopefully) be a shorter measurement. YRMV as to how much you need.

The stick eliminates the bending of the tape measure and the mumbo-jumbo of trying to remember if it was 76-13/16ths" or 75-11/83rds" and whether the little "inside"/"outside" tab thingy on the tape was in or out. Score another one for metric.... although you still have that little sliding gizmo on the tape to contend with. :D

John Sherwood '79 FJ-40, TLCA, Upstate Cruisers
Charlotte, NC

I have a tool I made out of an old spring loaded shower curtain rod and a pair of end caps with points (built on my lathe) to stick against the inner edge of the tires. I put it between the front edge of the tires and mark it at the overlap point. I then roll the rig forward until the rod comes up behind the axle and measure the difference from the mark. Doesn't get much easier or more accurate.

Here's how I did it. Measured the distance between the front of the wheels. Then measured the back of the wheel even with the axle. Did this until the distances were even. Do the mesurement at level of the axle.

HTH,

Is the method used by Warpdriv correct?
Should the spacing be the same front and rear on the front wheels?

(1979 RHD BJ40 in Ireland)

Thanks

(1979 RHD BJ40 in Ireland)

Thanks

hiya, i think the front is supposed to be a tad shorter. I tried this, but finally took mine to a tire shop get aligned and wheels balanced. I also got a print out of the caster angle too. I think the tire size will matter as the widths will be different between different tire sizes. regards,
ty
:beer:

It should be about 1/8" smaller on the front than on the rear.

I've always done it with two pieces of conduit against the rim, but it seems like it would work. Repeat it at several locations around the tire and see what you get.

Oh, and holy thread-revival batman. 10+ years may be a record.

I like this----
I have a tool I made out of an old spring loaded shower curtain rod and a pair of end caps with points (built on my lathe) to stick against the inner edge of the tires. I put it between the front edge of the tires and mark it at the overlap point. I then roll the rig forward until the rod comes up behind the axle and measure the difference from the mark. Doesn't get much easier or more accurate.

I clamped a piece of angle iron the rotor without the wheel of course. Then just use a tape from angle iron to angle iron front and back.

Indeed holy thread revival, 10 years, 2 months and 4 days...I sure hope the alignment got fixed before now and thx for the specs!

Indeed holy thread revival, 10 years, 2 months and 4 days...I sure hope the alignment got fixed before now and thx for the specs!

Hope everyone got their alignment squared away. Was looking to straighten my steering wheel and found a great video somewhat related. Happy 6 year revival anniversary!

17 years since this thread was started!! I understand wanting to do everything yourself but I'd probably leave this one to the tyre shop.

I set it to the factory measurements in the fsm then take it to a tyre shop and have them do the micro adjustments on their machine. It costs stuff all and it will be 100% correct.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom