460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims (9 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I looked into DTC codes and found out every time I reset the memory, the C120A (ECU Initial Setting Incomplete) error code shows up. It doesn't clear by the software, and it doesn't clear by crawl control ZPC. I have to connect the down-hill assist and perform the ZPC to erase it. The emergency brake and other functionalities also come back. I repeated the memory reset and ZPC three time but the craw control switch does not erase this error, i.e. the ECU calibration remains incomplete with the crawl control console switch.
error-.png

Now I suspect maybe the ECU doesn't recognize this new console switch at all. Because I don't see it in the crawl control parameter in the Data List. It only has the down-hill assist. This image is for the second page. I lost the screenshot from the first page, down-hill assist was there.

Another hypothesis is that maybe the two extra switches for air suspension are making trouble (?) might need to be removed (?) I don't know what is done on luxury trims after changing air suspension to lift kits.

Anyway, I couldn't add (84970-60450) switch to the ABS/VSC/TRAC ECU yet. I would try again to find a way to fool the computer.

Any suggestions? Does anyone have an extra 84970-60090 console switch I could try on this?

Last edited:
Sounds like you have the ZPC process down...at least you will be able to revert it back to normal.
The CC switches is wired directly to the Skid Control ECU (Master Cylinder). So I don't see the air suspension switch should have any affect.

Can you check the connector to the Skid ECU to see if it has the 4 wires for the CC switch?

Going cave man style, you can try just using the jumper wire method mentioned earlier in this thread?
I wonder if going simpler might do the trick?

Sounds like you have the ZPC process down...at least you will be able to revert it back to normal.
The CC switches is wired directly to the Skid Control ECU (Master Cylinder). So I don't see the air suspension switch should have any affect.

Can you check the connector to the Skid ECU to see if it has the 4 wires for the CC switch?

I don't know where is this located, you mean the computer behind glovebox? I don't want to open all of it now... maybe in future

Going cave man style, you can try just using the jumper wire method mentioned earlier in this thread?
I wonder if going simpler might do the trick?

Do you mean the "paper clip ZPC reset" method? The OBD port is different from previous versions. It has only 6 pins. I don't know how to figure out which pins are the CG and TS.

Do you mean the "paper clip ZPC reset" method? The OBD port is different from previous versions. It has only 6 pins. I don't know how to figure out which pins are the CG and TS.
Yep, that's what I was referring to. Sorry to hear your port is a different configuration.
Being an R&D engineer, I might try doing various combinations jumpers, but again, that could prove fatal to the electrical system/computer. :meh:
Are any of the wires the same color as the earlier models? Perhaps that could reduce the guess work??
Just be careful my friend not to fry anything. o_O

The repair manual doesn't even list the jumper option on the 2020. But the techstream steps are the same.

The Skid ECU is attached to the brake master under the hood. I was just wondering if the proper wires are going to that connector.

I'm very interested in getting CC/MTS working on my 2020 GX460. I mistakenly purchased the parts for the 2019 thinking they would work on a 2020. Then I found this thread and realized that there are significant changes to the 2020. I had the 2019 CC/MTS switch panel but sold it in new condition... The switch 2019 CC switch is a different type than the 2020 switch, plus with the changes outlined in the wiring diagram, I was certain it would not work.

I purchased the 4 switch panel for the 2020 Luxury model with CC/MTS and air/dynamic suspension switches. It's still wrapped up new... I was hoping just the switch was needed, but again, it looks like some additional mods will be required.

I happened to find this 2 switch panel from a 2020 Premium model that was sold overseas in the UAE that is called the GX460 Off Road Edition. It does not have all the additional options that are included in the US version of the GX460 Luxury with Off Road Package.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help find the part number. It also give me a little hope that it will be possible to add CC/MTS to a 2020 Premium.

Here is a link to the YouTube video of the GX460 Premium with Off Road Edition that is sold overseas...

2020 CC Switch.JPG

Last edited:
As @OCGX mentioned the CC switches are wired directly to the Skid Control ECU in 2020. I looked into the skid control ECU connector today to compare it to the 2020's crawl control wiring diagram. To my understanding, all the pins for crawls (on/off, down, up, gnd) are null in my vehicle. Meaning that there is no wire from crawl control switch (in the cabin) to the skid control ECU.

Pictures from two directions and pin numbers are: PIN43 (ON/OFF), PIN44 (DOWN), PIN13 (UP), PIN21 (GND).

1.jpg
2-socekt.jpg

Yeah... Lexus is badly saving on wires this year...

Have you thought about running temp wires with probes of some kind to the non terminated connections used by crawl and MTS on the skid control ECU? It could confirm if it is just wires missing or logic is also not there as well.

Have you thought about running temp wires with probes of some kind to the non terminated connections used by crawl and MTS on the skid control ECU? It could confirm if it is just wires missing or logic is also not there as well.

To be honest, yes, I thought about it... but still not sure if this is the right thing to do on a 60k vehicle... ha ha ha
Need to do more research and make sure those connectors are all high impedance inputs. maybe next month.

Last edited:
I'm very interested in getting CC/MTS working on my 2020 GX460. I mistakenly purchased the parts for the 2019 thinking they would work on a 2020. Then I found this thread and realized that there are significant changes to the 2020. I had the 2019 CC/MTS switch panel but sold it in new condition... The switch 2019 CC switch is a different type than the 2020 switch, plus with the changes outlined in the wiring diagram, I was certain it would not work.

I purchased the 4 switch panel for the 2020 Luxury model with CC/MTS and air/dynamic suspension switches. It's still wrapped up new... I was hoping just the switch was needed, but again, it looks like some additional mods will be required.

I happened to find this 2 switch panel from a 2020 Premium model that was sold overseas in the UAE that is called the GX460 Off Road Edition. It does not have all the additional options that are included in the US version of the GX460 Luxury with Off Road Package.

Hopefully somebody will be able to help find the part number. It also give me a little hope that it will be possible to add CC/MTS to a 2020 Premium.

Here is a link to the YouTube video of the GX460 Premium with Off Road Edition that is sold overseas...

View attachment 2328128

Stay tuned. so far no progress :rolleyes:

Yep, that's what I was referring to. Sorry to hear your port is a different configuration.
Being an R&D engineer, I might try doing various combinations jumpers, but again, that could prove fatal to the electrical system/computer. :meh:
Are any of the wires the same color as the earlier models? Perhaps that could reduce the guess work??
Just be careful my friend not to fry anything. o_O

ha ha, I can't be that reckless... dealer charges $$$ if this breaks.
I used to be an electronic engineer doing reverse engineering to repair expensive out of warranty medical lab machines. precision was the key back then.

@GXOR20 So the lack of wires in the connector is almost a worst case scenario for adding CC/MTS? If the logic is in the controller, then adding the switch/wires would be painful but not impossible. I'm most interested in MTS. I had both in my 4Runner and found MTS to be more useful.

Thanks for your continued efforts. If I can help in any way, please let me know. I do have the 2020 CC/MTS switch in hand (new and unopened).

The local dealerships don't have any Luxury models with the Off Road Package on the lot to look at.

I'm thinking about finding a fully-wired ECU connector for replacing/testing. Don't know the part number, though. Might be the same as 2019 model, can anyone share a picture from their skid ecu connector of 2014-2019 model? Also, the skid ecu part number?

20200602_184657.jpg
20200602_184702.jpg
20200602_184802.jpg

I'm thinking about finding a fully-wired ECU connector for replacing/testing. Don't know the part number, though. Might be the same as 2019 model, can anyone share a picture from their skid ecu connector of 2014-2019 model? Also, the skid ecu part number?

I'm still learning... But I'm guessing the change to the 2020 is due to TSS/Dynamic Cruise Control becoming standard equipment. Do you think there is a difference between the wiring on a 2019 Premium vs the 2019 Luxury with Dynamic Support Package? Does a 2019 Luxury with the Dynamic Support Package still use the under-dash CC/MTS module or is the switch wired directly to the Skid ECU? I'm just trying to understand why such a change would be made near the end of the vehicle production run.

There might be differences, I'm not sure. waiting to get more info from others.
Btw, I have not tried MTS in action before, but the a-trac is working properly in this car, it's just not fine-tuned for different terrains.

Last edited:
All 10-19 models regardless of options use the same MTS module swap. 10-13 uses a different model rev than the 14-19 models. Dynamic cruise from 10-19 hasn't made a difference in what vehicle can take the mod.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom