460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims (4 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I purchased a 2017 GX 460 Luxury model and just discovered that it does not have MTS on vehicle. Can someone recommend a mechanic in Los Angeles who can add this feature? I assume dealer can not complete this upgrade. Also, what is the correct part number for this upgrade/replacement? I learned not to base part on VIN for my vehicle.
To my knowledge, MTS is not a US option at all on any year or on any trim level.

As far as adding it, just order the part 859A1-60040 for your 2017. DO NOT use your VIN when ordering, it has been reported that they may send the wrong part then. The part itself is literally plug n play. Turn the car off, unplug the old part, add the new part, start the car and MTS is there.

Note

The part is behind the dash and takes a bit of disassembly. However, I was able to complete it in about an hour....that was including disassembly, removing the old part, installing the new part, and reassembly. Attached is the guide I used to take the dash apart.

Attachments

• DashDisassembly.pdf
    2.6 MB · Views: 525
I ordered and am waiting for the MTS part. Am I correct that the new part should replace the old part and not be just plugged into an open slot? I was wondering if there will be any special features that were only on the old part that will be lost if I replace it with the new part? If not, then can I assume that the new part is cumulative and all prior features plus the new MTS features will be present after the replacement. Thanks so much to everyone in this thread. I love my gx460 and plan on putting it to good use and keeping it for a long time.

I ordered and am waiting for the MTS part. Am I correct that the new part should replace the old part and not be just plugged into an open slot? I was wondering if there will be any special features that were only on the old part that will be lost if I replace it with the new part? If not, then can I assume that the new part is cumulative and all prior features plus the new MTS features will be present after the replacement. Thanks so much to everyone in this thread. I love my gx460 and plan on putting it to good use and keeping it for a long time.
Yes, the new MTS module will replace and existing module there. No functions are lost to my knowledge. The new part is the upgraded version.

That's great. But it is true that I need to remove and replace the original part with the new part which includes MTS, right? I already have a working crawl control switch on my console. Thanks again.

Thanks for your comments re upgrading to MTS. I am considering taking the replacement MTS part to my dealer to do the work, but am concerned that they will tell me it will invalidate my extended warranty which still has 80k miles and 5 years left on it. Anyone have experiences with that issue? Also, if I do it myself or go to an independent mechanic, after the replacement is completed, does the new part create a trouble code or another alert that the dealer will be alerted that the standard part was removed/replaced? Thanks to all.

But it is true that I need to remove and replace the original part with the new part which includes MTS, right?
Yes, it replaces the factory part with the one that has MTS.
Anyone have experiences with that issue? Also, if I do it myself or go to an independent mechanic, after the replacement is completed, does the new part create a trouble code or another alert that the dealer will be alerted that the standard part was removed/replaced? Thanks to all.
I installed them after my warranty was over, so I have no experience with a warranty claim after the install. There are no trouble codes after installing the MTS module. I doubt the dealer would know it's there.

Thanks for your comments re upgrading to MTS. I am considering taking the replacement MTS part to my dealer to do the work, but am concerned that they will tell me it will invalidate my extended warranty which still has 80k miles and 5 years left on it. Anyone have experiences with that issue? Also, if I do it myself or go to an independent mechanic, after the replacement is completed, does the new part create a trouble code or another alert that the dealer will be alerted that the standard part was removed/replaced? Thanks to all.
I tried to get my dealer to replace it when it was in for the passenger airbag recall. They would not do it since its not a stock part for my VIN. Just FYI And no troubled codes. The MTS is truly just plug n play.

This is a cool mod for more off-roading terrain adjustment. However, I think you'll hardly tell the difference. I've been off-roading all kinds of terrains with my 2015 460 Base - just 4Lo and CDL over rock, sand, water crossing, etc. At first, I thought that I would need to upgrade to all these fancy terrain options, but now I don't think so. All I needed was more seat time with proper setting/throttle/brake control and picking good lines with spotter's help sometimes. Just get out there and see what you can do with your rig first. Happy off-roading.

Hungry Valley OHV 1

Hungry Valley OHV 2

Hungry Valley OHV 3

Hungry Valley OHV 4 - Activated DAC on descent

Hungry Valley OHV 5

Cleghorn 1

Cleghorn 1a

Cleghorn 2

Cleghorn - Johnson Valley 3

Last edited:
This is a cool mod for more off-roading terrain adjustment. However, I think you'll hardly tell the difference. I've been off-roading all kinds of terrains with my 2015 460 Base - just 4Lo and CDL over rock, sand, water crossing, etc. At first, I thought that I would need to upgrade to all these fancy terrain options, but now I don't think so. All I needed was more seat time with proper setting/throttle/brake control and picking good lines with spotter's help sometimes. Just get out there and see what you can do with your rig first. Happy off-roading.
You're probably right that you don't need to.. but I will say that MTS would have reduced your wheel spin in those cross axle situations in your HV OHV 1 and HV OHV 3 videos. It can make the ATRAC noticeably more aggressive than stock reducing wheel spin (depending on your MTS settings).

And I find CRAWL more useful than DAC because you can vary the speed. I can get the truck going slower with CRAWL going down a rocky steep hill than I can with DAC.

That being said, I don't think they are needed. They are just a nice addition which can make life a little easier. I've been wheeling for a while now and have been just fine without it in my Taoma, 4Runners , and the GX (I installed the modules about a year ago).

You're probably right that you don't need to.. but I will say that MTS would have reduced your wheel spin in those cross axle situations in your HV OHV 1 and HV OHV 3 videos. It can make the ATRAC noticeably more aggressive than stock reducing wheel spin (depending on your MTS settings).

And I find CRAWL more useful than DAC because you can vary the speed. I can get the truck going slower with CRAWL going down a rocky steep hill than I can with DAC.

That being said, I don't think they are needed. They are just a nice addition which can make life a little easier. I've been wheeling for a while now and have been just fine without it in my Taoma, 4Runners , and the GX (I installed the modules about a year ago).

I should have slowed down the DAC speed down hill a bit - first true off-road test. The free spinning wheel on up hill hitting loose sand and big rut pockets was fun. Maybe get rear lockers later. I might consider this mod down the road still . It's always good to get the most efficient/appropriate terrain setting. Whatever help I can get, I'll take it. So, what was your total cost for this mod? (I skimmed through the posts in this thread) I agreed, great addition and option, indeed.

I should have slowed down the DAC speed down hill a bit - first true off-road test. The free spinning wheel on up hill hitting loose sand and big rut pockets was fun. Maybe get rear lockers later. I might consider this mod down the road still . It's always good to get the most efficient/appropriate terrain setting. Whatever help I can get, I'll take it. So, what was your total cost for this mod? (I skimmed through the posts in this thread) I agreed, great addition and option, indeed.
MTS was about $145, CRAWL was about $275. I think MTS is more useful than CRAWL.

The advantage of CRWAL over DAC is that you can control the speed. DAC is fixed and CRAWL there are 5 speed settings Hi • MED • LO.

Another nice feature of crawl is the getting unstuck mode:

Anyone hear from the guys at OEMvehicle parts lately? Ordered the MTS box almost a month ago and they haven't replied to email or phone calls.

Installed both, got MTS to work but not CC. paid a guy tech stream to do the zero point. Any ideas?
Thanks!

Did he say what part of process failed?

Calibration guide is here

A common failure point is forgetting to hit the Crawl ON/OFF button at the end of Zero Point before exiting process in TS. This lets vehicle know it is equipped with crawl.

Didn't say anything failed, but I'd bet he didn't hit the on/off button.
Would you happen to have a link to the paper clip method?

Last edited:
Paper clip method from FSM. You can do that step talking about driving 25MPH straight... last

So I just got back from a 12 day trip that took me to Mojave Preserve, Overland Expo West, Northern Nevada, Eastern Sierras, and finally Death Valley.

I got a chance to use both MTS and Crawl. Crawl saved my bacon in Nevada after getting stuck in a muddy washed out ditch. I went through the ditch fine in one direction, but that road was a dead end. Heading back was the issue. Heading back the ditch had a shallow entrance (why I was able to cross over the first time no problem, it was a shallow exit) but the far side was a steep drop off so I had trouble climbing the now far side of this ditch. To add to that the truck was sliding off to the driver's side. So I decided to see if Crawl would get me unstuck like the video of the Tacoma showed. So I activated Crawl then put it in reverse and let it do it's thing. At first it didn't seem to be doing much, just small throttle input and some ABS noise, I was beginning to think that it wasn't going to work. But after what seemed like 30 or 45 seconds, I start to notice the my truck lifting up and going back ever so slightly.. then finally it just started driving out of the ditch.

So my second attempt at going through the ditch with a little more speed.. aannnd stuck again.. This time I tried Crawl again but going forward. I didn't go forward the last time because of the way the truck was sliding to the driver's side. This time I just allowed the front to slide until it was stopped by the brush (fortunately there was no drop off on this trail). This seemed to take longer to get the truck going while going forward, again after a while I was losing confidence that this would pull me out of the ditch. I also had to give it some steering input to try and find traction for the front wheels. But again after about a min or so the truck started to inch forward until it finally crested the ditch and crawled out. I have to say not needing to get pulled out (I was with a friend in another truck) or deal with maxtrax (which I don't have yet, was thinking of picking up a set at the Expo but they were normal price so I just planned on getting them from a friend's off-road shop) in the mud was to me well worth the upgrade price.

I also had a good chance to use MTS this trip. Using the Rock setting to get through Mengal pass in Death Valley helped quite a bit. I first tried with the factory atrac settings, but was getting typical wheel slippage when attempting to get over some of the waterfall features. I then engaged the Rock settings in MTS, after this there was very little wheel slippage. There was a night and day difference (My SO might have video of this, I'll see if I can get it from her post it). I also had a chance to use the mud setting in Death Valley yesterday after all the rain and snow near Hunter Mountain. I think the most noticeable change this offers is with the throttle input. I seemed to dampen input so you wouldn't spin the tires as easily.

Last edited:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom