460-Add Crawl Control (CC) and Multi Terrain Select (MTS) to 2010-2019 models/all trims (6 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Sorry... this was info passed onto me. It appears that in FSM troubleshooting the Crawl/DAC only mentions skid control ECU, switch, harness or gauge. MTS troubleshooting just mentions CANbus. I wanted to see if there were any other ECU's mentioned for crawl troubleshooting and it appears there are none.

At this point I'm not sure there is much more we can pull for definite confirmation other than a real world test with fingers crossed. A test install with an actual crawl switch or someone can try temporary switches with the existing harness connected to existing console switch like what was done with budget crawl thread on CL.

Wish we had some pics of the underside of console switch and the unplugged connector.

Hey Guys, Was trying to figure out If it was confirmed or not that adding just the controller switch from the 2020 GX (PN 84970-60450) and after performing the ZPC would yield both the Crawl Control and Multi-Terrain Select? Trying to determine if I can oreder this part for my 2010 and get CC & MTS in one shot? Much appreciated!

2020 isn't cracked yet... it isn't wired up the same. 2020 owner will need to take the purchase risk and see if it works.

As for your 2010 you will need to purchase the MTS module for Multi Terrain Select and then either go with a OEM switch or configure with simple switches.

Budget Crawl

2020 isn't cracked yet... it isn't wired up the same. 2020 owner will need to take the purchase risk and see if it works.

As for your 2010 you will need to purchase the MTS module for Multi Terrain Select and then either go with a OEM switch or configure with simple switches.

Budget Crawl

Thanks very much for your reply!

Going to order the CC and MTS soon.

I have a 2010 Premium model that came with the adjustable suspension (4 toggle switch plate).

Replacing the factory air suspension with an ICON kit did not trigger any suspension fault codes, the two suspension control toggle switches just became useless.

Since I'm no longer using the suspension control toggles, when I add CC, I'd like to go ahead and replace that 4 toggle plate with a 2 toggle plate (84970-60090), but I'm concerned that may trigger a suspension fault code.

Has anyone with deleted factory air suspension successfully converted to the 2 toggle plate (84970-60090)?

Thanks again

Thanks very much for your reply!

Going to order the CC and MTS soon.

I have a 2010 Premium model that came with the adjustable suspension (4 toggle switch plate).

Replacing the factory air suspension with an ICON kit did not trigger any suspension fault codes, the two suspension control toggle switches just became useless.

Since I'm no longer using the suspension control toggles, when I add CC, I'd like to go ahead and replace that 4 toggle plate with a 2 toggle plate (84970-60090), but I'm concerned that may trigger a suspension fault code.

Has anyone with deleted factory air suspension successfully converted to the 2 toggle plate (84970-60090)?

Thanks again

Could you just unplug it first to see? It may throw a code, but at least you didn't order anything.

3A5D1E07-115F-40C8-9BAD-BFAFD557FABC.jpeg

Installed successfully yesterday without a hitch. I actually used the CL write up which I found here on Mud. Thanks fellas!

Last edited:
Sweeeeet!!
My next mod when I get a little extra coin.
Go for it! Not a bad mod at all! More and more I’m so damn grateful that I went GX over a 4Runner! One can easily make this thing more capable than a 4Runner. Can’t exactly do that the other way around!
And don’t forget those lovely creature comforts :D

Yep. Agreed. One of my best friends (and neighbor) purchased a new 2018 4Runner with everything for trail, I personally I don't think it nearly as capable as mine. Albeit I have a little more in mine than he has in his.
But he'll NEVER have the air conditioned seats, 3 climate zones, leather and wood that I have!! And least I forget the V8!!!!

Yep. Agreed. One of my best friends (and neighbor) purchased a new 2018 4Runner with everything for trail, I personally I don't think it nearly as capable as mine. Albeit I have a little more in mine than he has in his.
But he'll NEVER have the air conditioned seats, 3 climate zones, leather and wood that I have!! And least I forget the V8!!!!
Lol 😂 I’m right there with you!!!

Reactions: r2m
I did this last year, and it is truly an amazing feature set, especially crawl control. There are a few spots that my old LandCruiser with a locker would make it up, but would take a little effort. Crawl control just drives up without spinning a tire. It makes quite the racket, but it just goes right up!

I didn't blank out the ride height and ride comfort switches, and am contemplating re-purposing them if I can figure it out. I'm going to look into the ride height switch as an inside winch controller. I'll start a thread if I can figure that one out.

I ordered the 2020 model of the console combo switch (84970-60470) for my 2020 GX460 premium from oemvehicleparts.com and what I got was the exact same console switch with DAC instead of crawl control. Then I read about (84970-60450) on page 9 of the thread... Now I need to call them and make sure I'm getting the right part... either the 2010-19 model (84970-60090) or the new (84970-60450) . I will keep you updated on the process.

Last edited:
2020 is an untested & unknown at this point

You don't want the 10-19 parts here as switch is physically different for function on 2020. I am told that the crawl switch for 2020 is 84970-60450

Will it give you crawl? No one can confirm at this point. Keep everyone posted how it goes once you get the switch.

Also make sure you don't use a VIN on ordering these switches or they they will go by what is stock in the vehicle.

The two switch 090 equivalent switch for 2020 doesn't exist beyond the 10-19 models

Ok, I did not know the 10-19 switch is different. I will call and ask for more details before sending the new part.
The one I got (84970-60470) seems the same on the front and has an 8*2 socket on the back.
20200516_155616.jpg
20200517_162406.jpg

I'm very eager to get it working. I know it's not a "must have" feature for offroading, also A-Trac is doing an awesome job, but... if the program is there on the computer, why not add one switch to activate it!

You will be the first I have heard that has tried a replacement crawl switch on a 2020. Bear in mind this will be an experiment as there are no reports of a retrofit on a 2020.

Wiring and logic is different so a big unknown. MTS ECU no longer exists and appears to be embedded in the skid control ECU off of the master cylinder.

MTS on 10-19 is controlled by a steering wheel switch while '20 puts its on the Crawl/MTS switch.

10-19 crawl control switch options. Speed is toggle switch that goes forward and back. MTS is controlled from steering wheel.
84970-60070.jpg
84970-60090.jpg

2020 is a 5 position switch where it says Crawl/MTS. Crawl speed and MTS mode is controlled from the CRAWL MTS toggle.
2020.jpg

You will be the first I have heard that has tried a replacement crawl switch on a 2020. Bear in mind this will be an experiment as there are no reports of a retrofit on a 2020.

Wiring and logic is different so a big unknown. MTS ECU no longer exists and appears to be embedded in the skid control ECU off of the master cylinder.

MTS on 10-19 is controlled by a steering wheel switch while '20 puts its on the Crawl/MTS switch.

10-19 crawl control switch options. Speed is toggle switch that goes forward and back. MTS is controlled from steering wheel.
View attachment 2309911View attachment 2309912

2020 is a 5 position switch where it says Crawl/MTS. Crawl speed and MTS mode is controlled from the CRAWL MTS toggle.
View attachment 2309919
So, the console switch in 2020 models comes with variable suspension control. cuz the off-road package is limited to Luxury trim in US? Maybe I should check Canadian auto parts?
Also, the lexus.parts.com shows the 84970-60090 fits 11 variants of GX460 trims between 2010 and 2020. so, the old switch might even work.

Last edited:
It would be interesting to see if 090 does works on a 2020 for "just crawl control" as MTS is part of the physical switch operation for 2020.

Keep us posted... remember... I was there a few years back wondering if I had dropped hundreds on a mantle piece that wasn't going to do anything for me :)

So, I finally got the new console switch, which seems to be the correct part with crawl/MTS for 2020 models.
20200529_220352.jpg

But just as I started the installation and zero-point calibration steps, I realized the new OBD port is different from previous versions. It has only 6 pins, 2 on the top (pins 1 and 3 from left) and 4 pins in the bottom (pins 2,3,4,5 from left). The user manual doesn't have any info about it, I don't know how to figure out which pins are the CG and TS.
20200529_214751.jpg
20200529_214721.jpg

Got a mini OBDII communication interface from Amazon to see if that would help to connect using the software. I appreciate it if others could help me figuring our zero-point calibration on this port.

So, I finally got the new console switch, which seems to be the correct part with crawl/MTS for 2020 models.
View attachment 2323698

But just as I started the installation and zero-point calibration steps, I realized the new OBD port is different from previous versions. It has only 6 pins, 2 on the top (pins 1 and 3 from left) and 4 pins in the bottom (pins 2,3,4,5 from left). The user manual doesn't have any info about it, I don't know how to figure out which pins are the CG and TS.
View attachment 2323700 View attachment 2323701

Got a mini OBDII communication interface from Amazon to see if that would help to connect using the software. I appreciate it if others could help me figuring our zero-point calibration on this port.

So, I gave it a try using Techstream, followed the steps in this video and this page for memory reset and zero point calibration. The lights blink but pressing the crawl on/off button does not seem to activate it. I think I'm not doing the memory reset step correctly. I see a message of "front camera not working" right after exiting the Test Mode tool, which I suppose is an option for the offroad package. The 4lo switch works, but vsc light is on and emergency break is deactivated. Fron display says visit to the dealership. ha ha...

Last edited:
I admire your tenacity in attacking this mod! Keep up the good fight!
AND keep posting!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom