how to access the starter in 91 fj80? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 91 FJ80 LC with 215k+ miles and a couple of months ago I started having starter problems. I would turn the key, and hear a "CLICK" and the dash would dim slightly and wouldnt start. I would have to pump the gas pedal and turn the key 5+ times to get it going. In the last few weeks its been getting progressively worse and now it just flat out stopped working. After testing the battery, voltage drop, connections, and alternator I concluded its definitely the starter/solenoid failing on me. I went to the dealership and got a new 2.0kw bad boy but I just can NOT find a way to get to the bolts to remove it. :mad::crybaby::eek:

I was wondering if you guys have some tips or tricks to get to it? What tools i might need to get (beyond my wrench/ratchet set) to access it? Do i need to remove anything to get to it, and is there a write up/pictorial to help me do this? I need to get it fixed so I can get cruisin' again!! :cheers:
started.jpg

I am pretty sure when I did the starter on my '91, I had to get at it from UNDER the vehicle. It was still a PITA, but it was doable.

Agreed, you have to get to it from underneath. The low voltage wire you get to from the firewall/tire, you have to remove the skirts. If you have Wobble spcket adapters and a series of long socket extensions, you can get to the bolts pretty easily from underneath.

Pat

Do it from underneath. It is fairly simple once you do it once. The top nut is easier from the top and the bottom from underneath.

Yea, the starter is a PITA to get to. Good suggestions so far. When you go for the top nut, resist the urge to put your weight on the radiator. My top tank split just after starter replacement.

Also, chances are the starter can be rebuilt with a new contact set from Toyota for around $30 and 20 minutes of your time with the starter on a bench.

I am going to reiterate what everyone else has said, get under the truck. There is enough room to wiggle your hand around and get all the bolts loosened. A wobble head rachet wrench helps but is not essential.

I will also second the rebuild. These things are meant for the 3rd world not the city, and therefore are very easily rebuilt. Save your $ and rebuild the starter.

Sent from my Droid thingy using IH8MUD

Hi, The 1991 is a hard one. Loosen bolts and wires from the bottom,remove and replace through the top, at least I did. Extra hands help and car wash the crud off first. Mike

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom