How to access relays on rear of fuse panel? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
After a slight drowning incident I'm dealing with rectifying as many of the electrical issues as I can before calling a professional auto electrician. The more I can fix myself, the more I can learn about the car and hopefully save some money in the process.

One of the weird issues that is happening is that the park lights on the headlights as well as the licence plate light and tail lights are staying on even when the switch is in the off position. I.E. the car thinks the headlight switch is always in the 1st position even when off. Turning the switch to the second position does turn on my headlights as normal.

Pulling the "TAIL" fuse on the interior fuse box (in the passenger footwell of my RHD vehicle) turns off all the misbehaving lights (which makes sense).

Therefore my next port of call is testing the relay that controls these lights, which logically would be the "TAIL" relay.

According to the resources I could find online about the location of this relay, it is on the rear of the interior fuse box panel. Inserting my head into the footwell I can see at least 1 or 2 bolts that look like they'd need to come out so I can access the rear of this plastic panel, but surely there is an easier way to access these relays? Maybe through the wheel well?

Do I have to disassemble the dash to access this relay properly?

Has anyone done this themselves?

I have done this to change out my fog light relay. There is no easy way. You have to get in there and unbolt the thing and it sucks but it can be done.
Is there any video of the procedure? I don’t have any experience with electrical stuff and I don’t want to mess up.

On a LHD 100:
1) Remove drivers' side door sill plate, dead pedal and then the side kick panel.
2) Disconnect all electrical harnesses to the "Cowl Junction Block" (the part shown below)
3) Locate and remove the 3 bolts that fasten the junction block. Positions shown below.

The relays are on the backside and just pull out.

Screen Shot 2023-02-07 at 7.23.17 AM.png

IMG_5561D.JPG
IMG_5562D.JPG

Disconnect negative battery post clamp, before remove junction box.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom