How To: 60 to 62 Dash Conversion (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Longshot here, but do you remember if you needed any special tools? Found a donor fj62 I'll be pulling all of these parts out next week and would like to travel without the entire toolbox. I'm looking at the FSM and the number of bolts/screws is called out but not the sizes.
Like said above - nothing special. Just take care around the plastic bits. A couple extensions and shallow sockets and 1/4 ratchet makes maneuvering easier. Really easy job overall.

@mattressking thanks for this thread, it was really helpful and we did it successfully.

Cheers 🍻

05E84D44-EEFD-4696-8335-F6F6310DFE43.jpeg

6DD16AD4-80D2-4DF8-B0E5-11734563AA4A.jpeg

Can you provide any insight as to what to order to make a more modern radio work? I’m assuming a wiring adapter for the original 60 harness and a mounting system for the new radio. Am I missing anything?
See step 8. That is how you wire it in. I chose to use the unused plug for the inspection light plug but you can use any +12v so long you have switched and constant.

Can you provide any insight as to what to order to make a more modern radio work? I’m assuming a wiring adapter for the original 60 harness and a mounting system for the new radio. Am I missing anything?
@TheEngineer

When I purchased the car it had some sort of loom in there. But the previous owner just chased and found constant power, acc power, an earth from the original system, and colour coded each speaker wire per its position in the car - I know I’m not much help here.

Mounting system is just a couple of 50c brackets from the local hardware, bought several different shapes and found which worked 🙂

@TheEngineer

When I purchased the car it had some sort of loom in there. But the previous owner just chased and found constant power, acc power, an earth from the original system, and colour coded each speaker wire per its position in the car - I know I’m not much help here.

Mounting system is just a couple of 50c brackets from the local hardware, bought several different shapes and found which worked 🙂
It makes sense, but I’d like to at least wire in all 4 doors and maybe the two trunk speakers when I do the install so I can just add the speakers later. Right now all I have are speakers in the front kick wells.
Looking at this rats nest isn’t motivating at all.
7E339347-41CF-443A-B3B8-91A5E89C4F31.jpeg

I have a pair of radio brackets off the dash if anyone needs them, along with a spare 62 loom and a few other harnesses for the dash.
I’d probably be interested in those pieces. Is it the large plate brackets or the two smaller pieces? The dash I pulled my parts from had the smaller bracket version but I forgot to grab them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom