How strong are these recovery points? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

re_guderian

SILVER Star
Threads
This ring is on the Up-n-Over rear bumper on my FZJ80. They are 1/2" dia. How strong are these? Can they be used for any recovery, or only light duty?
(it doesn't look that rusty in real life...) :rolleyes:
IMG_1465.jpg

I would be more concerned about the fairly light duty strap that was designed to be bolted on, which has instead been weld to the bumper. These D-ringd can be had with a much sturdier mount intended to be welded. I'm not sure I would trust that strap.

I use that size ring on trailers for tie down points. I prefer the next size up for recover points on bumpers. I would expect that it will handle any winching load. I don't know how comfortable I would be hitting it with a snatch strap and a vigorous running start.

Mark...

Mark W said:
I would be more concerned about the fairly light duty strap that was designed to be bolted on, which has instead been weld to the bumper. These D-ringd can be had with a much sturdier mount intended to be welded. I'm not sure I would trust that strap.

I use that size ring on trailers for tie down points. I prefer the next size up for recover points on bumpers. I would expect that it will handle any winching load. I don't know how comfortable I would be hitting it with a snatch strap and a vigorous running start.

Mark...

Thanks Mark, that's what I wanted to know.

these are my favortite tow/recoverly rings
18547750.jpg

67244611.jpg

there are smaller sizes. these rotate 360 deg's, as well as 180 up down

The first d-ring type ones above are rated @ 11,000 lbs I have used them for recovery with no problems.( I always use a winch weight )

My 40 has a couple bumpers built by U&O with those D-rings on both. They have held up to running starts while snaching/dragging tree trunks. They also get a workout on the trail pulling vehicles around. While I agree they are a little on the small side I have not had any issues with them. I have issues with the quality of some of their other work on those bumpers but the d-rings are fine...

I like Pimp's choice of hoist rings but my wallet doesn't agree with me!

Nick

The D rings on Rob's rig don't worry me. I prefer a little larger, but I've seen this size ring take a lot of abuse. Any question in my mind comes from the strap securing it to the bumper.

It is tough to relate loads imppsed when using a snatch strap. Some guys idea of a "vigorous yank" are what others consider a gentle tug. Add in differing vehicle weights, vehicle power and traction capability, and wildly varying "stucks" and there just isn't any constant for imperical comparision.

I prefer to err a bit on the cautious size. But I stay realistic. I've seen some guys using D-rings more appropriate to anchoring an aircraft carrier. ;)

Mark...

Mark...

too tall said:
I always use a winch weight )

??? :frown: What is this? Maybe another name for _____?

I think they are called hoist rings, Grainger has them for big bucks(like $150 each for the size shown) but I found mine at Boeing Surplus Sales for $2 a pound, so about $20 each :)

pretty sure they will not fit the stock holes, I think they bolt is 1" or bigger

Mithila said:
What is it called? Where can I get one from. Will it fit the existing holes in a rear bumper of a 40?.

boing surplus, one of the things i miss most about WA.

RE-gud, i have the same rings on my rig, but with the weld on straps instead, they have seen a fair amount of use with no problem.

Those swivel hoist rings are pretty damn nice. A little rubber tubing sliced and slid over the ring would keep it from rattling, too.

canyoneer said:
Those swivel hoist rings are pretty damn nice. A little rubber tubing sliced and slid over the ring would keep it from rattling, too.

or the handy-dandy Clip Thingy they sell. Didn't see any prices on the Carr Lane website. kinda 'fraid to ask...

haha, what a joke!!! the same EXACT clip is sold at home depot for prolly 1/5th the price of carr.

oh BTW, those fancy swivel rings that are all the rage with the rover crowd (LOL) i have 6 of'em, ok not exactly the same thing, but i got all i could pull off the duece and a half in a J/Y for $10 they a huge rings with threaded ends just like the ones posted.

re_guderian said:
??? :frown: What is this? Maybe another name for _____?

I'm assuming he means a weight you put on the winch line so if the line snaps (or in this case, the attachment point possible breaks), the free end won't whip back at you.

good idea, but they actaully don't rattle.

I use Slip Plate on them to keep em from rusting up and moving freely

I have 2-4 sizes, one is HUGE, it would prolly drag on the ground on a Cruiser........think I was hoping for a DOKA to use it on ;)

also have some little tiny ones......no idea what for..........but at $2 a pound..........who cares ;)

canyoneer said:

The CarrLane Website has the prices listed under the "Dimensions" tabs.
The Swivel Hoist Ring rated at 10,000 lbs, and a shank length of 1-1/2" is $175...each...

:eek:

Ed

I would say the ones I have were a VERY VERY good deal then :D

DaktariEd said:
The CarrLane Website has the prices listed under the "Dimensions" tabs.
The Swivel Hoist Ring rated at 10,000 lbs, and a shank length of 1-1/2" is $175...each...

:eek:

Ed

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom