How similar will a 1st gen Tundra be to a 100 series? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

@Stewfish do you work as a trailer salesman? :) for the 3rd or 4th time, not interested. It would be a giant pain in the ass but I'm glad that setup is working out for you. I'm guessing the places we go are drastically different.

@FJBen those look like some nice builds. I'm still all over the place but lately I'm thinking I'm just gonna go full size and not stress so much about size. I'm now thinking either a 2nd gen tundra but am also researching some other options like a user Power Wagon. I've always loved the FWCs but I think that's really more than what we need and I think something lighter like a GFC style camper will suit us pretty well.

Totally forgot about the Power Wagon. I actually have a thread about deciding over a Tundra or Power Wagon.
Power Wagon! I have always wanted a power wagon. The only downside is gas mileage...or a Chrysler product.
All built and ready to go.

a3b4b3cc3c77e2379ca437bd0a5f2b88.jpg

gas mileage is less than a Tundra but not that much less. I did a trip recently up to Northern Idaho, a pretty big trip by most peoples standards. 9 days, got pretty close to the Canada border. I did some rough math last night and round trip the Power Wagon would have cost an extra $200. Really not that much when you look at it like that. It wouldn't be a daily driver, I recently picked up a car to keep the miles off the cruiser so this will be dedicated to weekends and longer camp trips and then getting up to the ski hill in the winter but that's only a 10 minute drive.

The other downside you mentioned is not really a downside from what I gather anymore. Most people seem really happy with the Dodge/Ram trucks lately. It sounds like they've been really solid since around 2014, no more front end issues or so I read.

I'm gonna go see if I can find that thread, sounds interesting.

gas mileage is less than a Tundra but not that much less. I did a trip recently up to Northern Idaho, a pretty big trip by most peoples standards. 9 days, got pretty close to the Canada border. I did some rough math last night and round trip the Power Wagon would have cost an extra $200. Really not that much when you look at it like that. It wouldn't be a daily driver, I recently picked up a car to keep the miles off the cruiser so this will be dedicated to weekends and longer camp trips and then getting up to the ski hill in the winter but that's only a 10 minute drive.

The other downside you mentioned is not really a downside from what I gather anymore. Most people seem really happy with the Dodge/Ram trucks lately. It sounds like they've been really solid since around 2014, no more front end issues or so I read.

I'm gonna go see if I can find that thread, sounds interesting.
Yeah, the Rams are pretty reliable. They had some issues in 2016 but since then they typically always show up #2 on the full size reliability charts I've been reading lately. All lists have the Tundra as #1 and most have the Ram as #2.

I own a 2004 LC and a 2002 Tundra.

Both vehicles have had a ton of money and elbow grease invested with 100% baselines being done. Suspension wise the LC has a full tough dog kit and the Tundra has 5100s. To make it brief, the Tundra rides like s*** compared to the LC.

A couple other things to consider as well. The 1st gen Tundra shares almost everything with the 1st gen Taco and 3rd gen 4runner. Steering rack, suspension, front diff, transmission (on pre-05 models) the list goes on. This is a relatively light duty vehicle that in no way compares to any component on a 100 series.

Saying all that, I actually love the Tundra. It replaced my underwhelming 2018 Taco and I have no regrets. It does my dump runs, quick hauls to the mtb trails and gets decent mpg when I take my boys out for a quick camping trip. It does not compare to the LC in comfort, off-road ability or robustness though.

Forgot that my best mileage in our Tundra was 16.5mpg. usually is 14~15 on stock tires. Thats with 120k miles.

That's pretty damn good. I'm guessing that truck with wheels, suspension and a light camper/RTT would be right around when I get in my 100, last I checked I think it was around 13 for a mixed road trip.

I got about 13.5 mpg mixed driving in my '05 Tundra 4x4. That was with 5100's leveling the front and 275/70 R17 BFG tires. With bigger tires, taller suspension, and a camper I would guess your looking at 12 mpg max. Although the mpg on these 4.7 engines doesn't seem to vary much unless you are doing some real towing, so who knows.

Yeah, that sounds about right. I'm not too stressed about MPG. Anything full size is going to suck and the difference is minimal on the wallet over the course of a road trip.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom