How Should I go about getting my transmission fixed? Major Leak between Tranny and Flywheel. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Evening everyone,

Just made it to Vegas after a long cross country trip, and while visiting family, my uncle pointed out that there was a large puddle under my car, but that it probably wasnt mine. Went to get dinner, and my transmission was slipping like no ones business. Came back to my grandparents home to find the large puddle where my car was parked, and it was, in fact, transmission fluid. After about 30 minutes, there was a small puddle underneath the car, leaking at about 3 drops per minute. I can take pictures if anyone wants. How should I go about doing this? I was going to BTB Products in Henderson on Friday for a general inspection of the cruiser, but this isnt something I should put off. Debating if I should go to the local AAMCO, or wait until Friday, where they specialize in land cruisers. Also, How much would this cost roughly? We think it may be a seal. Thanks guys.

If it's coming out between the transmission and the engine and it's transmission fluid it could be the seal around the input shaft. You might be able to see something by removing the plastic inspection cover on the bell housing and using a mirror to look around. If it is that will require the trans to be pulled but it's probably not something that requires a land cruiser specialty shop.

Sounds like the seal on the input shaft I don’t remember the part number, takes about 5 to 10 minutes to change after you pull the engine or tranny.
Once you got tranny dropped pull the torque converter and it is right there

Do a more direct inspection.

I'll bet it's a hose and not the shaft seal.

If I recall, you have a very low mileage truck.
You just took it on a long journey that's probably longer than it's ever been on in its life.

You are most likely going to start experiencing the heat cycle woes of hoses.
The hoses have not been heat cycled for years and you just got them hotter than they may have ever been and the old rubber is failing.

Trace the leak and carry extra fluid with you.
If it's the seal you won't have a catastrophic failure. If it's a hose, you might.

This is why my sig line says dis-use it harder than mis-use.

Do a more direct inspection.

I'll bet it's a hose and not the shaft seal.

If I recall, you have a very low mileage truck.
You just took it on a long journey that's probably longer than it's ever been on in its life.

You are most likely going to start experiencing the heat cycle woes of hoses.
The hoses have not been heat cycled for years and you just got them hotter than they may have ever been and the old rubber is failing.

Trace the leak and carry extra fluid with you.
If it's the seal you won't have a catastrophic failure. If it's a hose, you might.

This is why my sig line says dis-use it harder than mis-use.
Understood. About to take my grandfathers car to Autozone and get that extra fluid. I will send pictures of the leak as reference. Don't know if I said this earlier, but I wiped up the leak last night, and it seemed to be seeping, rather than dripping from something. Along with this, once it pooled together, it dripped at about 3-4 drops a minute.

A little update,

went and checked the truck this morning. I was expecting a huge puddle to be underneath the car, but there was only the puddle that had been there the night before, no bigger, no smaller (with the exception of the normal oil leak I have). Checked the spot where it was leaking and it was wet with oil (normal for my car with the leak). I assume the leak stopped since the fluid is more dense now, or that I am really low on fluid, but I am no expert.

A little update,

went and checked the truck this morning. I was expecting a huge puddle to be underneath the car, but there was only the puddle that had been there the night before, no bigger, no smaller (with the exception of the normal oil leak I have). Checked the spot where it was leaking and it was wet with oil (normal for my car with the leak). I assume the leak stopped since the fluid is more dense now, or that I am really low on fluid, but I am no expert.
Typically, the transmission will leak primarily while running because everything is under pressure. They don't typically leak while sitting like an engine will as it drains down after operation.

There are hoses that go alongside the left side (passenger side in your case) up to the radiator for the cooling lines. It could be where those lines come down next to the bell housing.

I'd top up the transmission fluid, drive to a nearby self serve car wash and clean up the engine bay and undercarriage. When you get home inspect underneath while its running (and warmed up). As @BILT4ME mentioned hoses can leak quickly, seals usually less so.

Also have you checked your power steering fluid? Any chance it could be a power steering leak (same fluid type).

I've had a pinhole leak in my transmission cooler hose that made a decent mess, but the power steering high pressure hose pinhole leaked a LOT more and really made a mess.

I'd top up the transmission fluid, drive to a nearby self serve car wash and clean up the engine bay and undercarriage. When you get home inspect underneath while its running (and warmed up). As @BILT4ME mentioned hoses can leak quickly, seals usually less so.

Also have you checked your power steering fluid? Any chance it could be a power steering leak (same fluid type).

I've had a pinhole leak in my transmission cooler hose that made a decent mess, but the power steering high pressure hose pinhole leaked a LOT more and really made a mess.
I was thinking that as well, but the fact that he said his transmission was slipping, tells me it's a trans leak and not PS.

An update for anyone whos interested,

Went to BTB and they believe a seal blew. They are going to inspect for damage. I was told best case scenario, all they have to pull the transmission and replace the seals. Worst case scenario, there is damage to the trans and they need to rebuild it. Fingers' crossed.

IME a large leak from the transmsision cooler lines that run along the left side of the engine (to the radiator, transmission cooler,and back) can be blown rearwards along those lines themselves and end up dripping off the bottom of the bellhousing.

What color is the transmision fluid that's remaining in the transmission (and was it the original fluid.)?

IME/FWIW if the ATF is still red or slightly tan, less likely serious damage occurred from running low on fluid, if the ATF is dark brown it may have overheated (or it's old/original fluid). If black (from microscopic metal particles) damage could have been done to the friction disks. IME

Last edited:
IME a large leak from the transmsision cooler lines that run along the left side of the engine (to the radiator, transmission cooler,and back) can be blown rearwards along those lines themselves and end up dripping off the bottom of the bellhousing.

What color is the transmision fluid that's remaining in the transmission (and was it the original fluid.)?

IME/FWIW if the ATF is still red or slightly tan, less likely serious damage occurred from running low on fluid, if the ATF is dark brown it may have overheated (or it's old/original fluid). If jet black (from microscopic metal particles) damage was could have been done to the friction disks. IME
Well, after checking the fluid on the day it started leaking, it was quite red. Checking it the next morning, the dipstick was bone dry, so I filled up the transmission and drove off to the shop.

Morning Everyone. For anyone who still cares/is curious, the cruiser shop I took it too pulled the tranny out and noted that the tranny had been pulled before, and whoever did it before didn't do it "professionally" as they put it. Leak was caused by the front pump seal popping!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom