How should I fix this electrical connector? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
This is the connector to the rear side marker light on my 1978 FJ40. Power isn't being sent down one of the two green wires. Can this thing be pulled apart to repair, can an exact replacement be found, or should I cut the wires and replace both sides of the connector with something else (and if so, what should I use)? Thanks.

toyota_fj40_rear_side_marker_light_connector_1024.jpg

Those terminals can be taken apart. I ground a small flat headed screwdriver tip quite thin and then you slip it down between the the brass terminal and the plastic case to push in the retainer tab and then pull it out Through the bottom.

Make the tool with the metal part of an old wiper blade. Perfect.

00233355-5A45-4B87-8C03-AFB108CFB0E4.png

Last edited:
Those terminals can be taken apart. I ground a small flat headed screwdriver tip quite thin and then you slip it down between the the brass terminal and the plastic case to push in the retainer tab and then pull it out Through the bottom.

Is the retainer tab between the plastic case and the flat part of the brass, or between the plastic case and the curled part of the brass?

Look into the front part of the plug(not where the wires enter) you’ll see a small slot in the plastic above the terminal slot.

Find something flat to slide into the slot and the brass tab will be compressed. Sometimes you have to push the wire farther in before pulling it out. It takes a minute to figure it out but will be simple once you do it.

I believe it is between the plastic and the flat part on female connections. On male connecters I think it is on the flat side away from the crimp where the connecter wraps around the wire. Didn’t explain that too well but practice on one and once you get it apart it all makes sense

I've had a Cruiser for a really long time, but I am brand new to this forum, so forgive me if this comment is out of line.

Connectors are good for one thing: Quick assembly at the factory. For everything else, they suck, unless you are talking about a component that requires frequent replacement.

So I see every failed connector as an opportunity to get in there with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, and fix it so it will never break again.

Maybe there is an interest in keeping the Cruiser completely stock or something? Again please educate me if I am missing some detail. Otherwise I know what I would do if that were my rig.

I've had a Cruiser for a really long time, but I am brand new to this forum, so forgive me if this comment is out of line.

Connectors are good for one thing: Quick assembly at the factory. For everything else, they suck, unless you are talking about a component that requires frequent replacement.

So I see every failed connector as an opportunity to get in there with a soldering iron and some heat shrink tubing, and fix it so it will never break again.

Maybe there is an interest in keeping the Cruiser completely stock or something? Again please educate me if I am missing some detail. Otherwise I know what I would do if that were my rig.

Generally I think you are correct. Some owners do want to keep their Cruiser as original as possible. In this case I think the connector is actually useful if you ever want to take the top off. Not something I think I'll ever do, but maybe the next owner will.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom