How rare is it to find a 80 series LC with factory lockers? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Not really, but they seem "rarely" priced if you are comparing them to non-locked versions.

The rumor is 7% of 93-97 80 series had factory lockers. It sure seems like it is a higher percentage than that...

tell you what...lets change cars, you keep mine and let me have that one with lockers...I'll take that problem out of your head...mine is a 1HD-T with an A442F coupled to an A1F dual AC's (no fridge) dual tanks...give me something changeable and is yours

tell you what...lets change cars,mine is a 1HD-T with an A442F coupled to an A1F dual AC's (no fridge) dual tanks...give me something changeable and is yours

sounds like a whole bunch more of the same reason i didnt get factory lockers. parts that are hard/too expensive to fix when something goes wrong.

you read just as many threads about lockers messing up as you do about head gaskets but you never hear of an aussie or ARB failing on anything.

sounds like a whole bunch more of the same reason i didnt get factory lockers. parts that are hard/too expensive to fix when something goes wrong.

you read just as many threads about lockers messing up as you do about head gaskets but you never hear of an aussie or ARB failing on anything.

I hear about ARBs failing but that is because of the air lines failing. If I NEEDED lockers (and didn't have them) I would get an Eaton/Harrop.

Having said that, I've had my 92 for 25 years and never felt I NEEDED lockers...

I hear about ARBs failing but that is because of the air lines failing. If I NEEDED lockers (and didn't have them) I would get an Eaton/Harrop.

Having said that, I've had my 92 for 25 years and never felt I NEEDED lockers...
Welcome to the forum

Btw how have you never needed lockers? Do you stay on fire roads?

I've had the '92, '95, '96 and '97 without lockers. ALL have been superior beastly vehicles for my family. The '96 with factory lockers that I have is a different species entirely containing a much beastlier personality that absolutely walks on water compared to the Nonlocked participants.

Factory lockers in US market trucks are 20 to 24 years old at this point. Hardly surprising there are some issues considering most are never used and seize up over time.

you never hear of an aussie or ARB failing on anything.

Do some googling
ARB are known as ARB Air Leakers by some.
Leaking seals, failed solenoids, compressors etc. Nothing is fool proof.
The e-lockers are extremely reliable

nothing is foolproof. ARB are known by some as Air Leakers. seals inside, copper lines inside the pumpkin, air lines, solenoids and compressor can all be failure points.

I would choose OEM lockers ahead of ARB for my needs, but if I couldn't find a rig with factory fitted lockers, I'd fit Eaton/Harrop, followed by ARBs (I've previously had factory fitted lockers, and retro fitted OEM lockers).

Lack of use, and maybe salt belt states give locker issues IMO. Common problem for many things besides lockers. My non locked 80 was very impressive, my locked 80 is amazing. That said, don't sweat it and put in ARB's, same smile factor.

Welcome to the forum

Btw how have you never needed lockers? Do you stay on fire roads?

Maybe he lets the cornfields dry up before he goes out to wheel?

Do some googling
ARB are known as ARB Air Leakers by some.
Leaking seals, failed solenoids, compressors etc. Nothing is fool proof.
The e-lockers are extremely reliable

nothing is foolproof. ARB are known by some as Air Leakers. seals inside, copper lines inside the pumpkin, air lines, solenoids and compressor can all be failure points.

I would choose OEM lockers ahead of ARB for my needs, but if I couldn't find a rig with factory fitted lockers, I'd fit Eaton/Harrop, followed by ARBs (I've previously had factory fitted lockers, and retro fitted OEM lockers).

Good luck getting your shaft out when your awesome factory locker s***s the bed and everything twists all to hell.

Maybe he lets the cornfields dry up before he goes out to wheel?

And I just don't put myself in positions where I risk it. Having said that, I've been in a lot of places that I thought I would need them and never did.

Now that I have factory lockers in my 93 I find myself using them even when not needed.

Good luck getting your shaft out when your awesome factory locker s***s the bed and everything twists all to hell.

So an axle failure is due to the locker s***ting the bed? I'd say you have that ass about.

As said, nothing is fool proof. There's been ARBs destroyed by busted shafts too.

For my needs, the OEM lockers have been awesome. I'm aware of their shortcomings, and I'm unlikely to bust or twist an axle.
I actually have a replacement 3rd with ARB in it waiting to swap in to my 105. My retrofitted oem locked rear needed a rebuild, an ARB locked 3rd came up at a price a lot less than rebuilding the OEM locked 3rd.

I don't have lockers on any of my cruisers. Living in Florida I don't need them. Wheeling throughout the US I haven't missed them. Though i don't do the hard core wheeling that many others do where lockers are required.

I wish I had them because I don't have them.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom