How often do you flush and refill your brake fluid? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Just wondering how many of you have done this and how often you do it on your 100 series? I mean replacing all the fluid in the brake system.

Usually every year in all of my cars, but I won't let it go more than 2 yrs. It also depends where you live (i.e., heat, moisture from rainfall/fog, etc.). I inherited a Toyota w/ 93K mi on it 5 yrs ago, and the brake system had internally rusted due to the moisture in the fluid. The vehicle spent its entire life in So. CA, garaged, too. The rear cylinders finally started leaking, master still worked, but had this sludge at the bottom of the resevoir. I'm amazed it didn't fail. I basically had to replace everything.

My fluid has been in for over 25 years in my FJ40.

I flush the braking system on all my cars every year. Remember brake fluid is hygroscopic and will become acidic if enough moisture is absorbed.

Once per year if it is a vehicle worth keeping. With self-bleeders the job is simple & quick.

Thanks guys for your comments. Since mine is a used vehicle and I don't know, I am changing mine. It did live in S. AZ which is a zero humidity enviroment, but like your other advise I have changed out all of the other fluids in my new tome LC and this is the last one to change. What I don't understand is why Toyota doesn't have this change as part of their regular maintance routine. I've noticed over the years that dealers don't even recommend changing the brake fluid. Most owners will never even think about changing their brake fluid. Just kind of weird.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom