How NOT to flush you power steering. (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Website
www.greatlakeswaterjetinc.com
Wednesday, as I left work, my P/S started to make noise. I stopped and found I had a leak somewhere. Thinking it might be simple, I replaced the large return hose on the reservoir. Not so lucky! I gave C-Dan a call to get info on pressure lines and I discovered how expensive the hoses are. After a little conversation, he recommended trying 3/8 tranny cooler hose. Last night I replaced all hoses except the two on the P/S box with the 3/8s. You have to remove the battery tray to get to everything but overall it wasn't too bad. Works like a champ and I only spent $20 versus $150 or more. Plus my P/S system is now flushed and should be good for a while. Thanks C-Dan for your help and quick response!:beer:

Did you get your hoses from NAPA? Do you have any part #s? I need to replace mine as well.

It's bulk hose.

Did you use/re-use clamps to attach hoses (never looked what's there) and why did you not replace the other two hoses? Mine's leaking so this would help immensely. Nelson

The other 2 hoses are high pressure hoses with crimped ends. You would have to buy factory parts or have them custom built. I used standard worm drive hose clamps and double clamped all.

You can take your current high pressure hoses to your local hydraulic shop and have the rubber replaced, reusing the existing metal fittings. They are crimped on, and can be removed and crimped on new hose.

Rich, i'm not sure we have a hydraulic shop around. Not to my knowledge anyways.

Anyplace where there is aviation, trucking, industiral, construction, farming or other heavy equipment there are firms that service hydraulic systems and shops that supply the parts, lines, hoses, and fittings needed. May be a one man shop, may be a specialty service, or might be a general purpose industrial supplier, but they are out there.

concretejungle said:
Did you get your hoses from NAPA? Do you have any part #s? I need to replace mine as well.

Any NAPA that does hydraulics should have H10106 Weatherhead hose.
This stuff withstands almost anything.
:cool:

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom