How much would you tow? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Spook50

Skål
Supporting Vendor
Threads
Looking at some used trailers locally. Lightweight stuff, but I'm curious what realistically I could pull with my 62. Pretty much stock 3FE (small bits of power freed up with upgraded ignition, electric cooling fan and desmogging, but otherwise unmolested), H55F, 33s, 4.11 gears, OME 3" heavy/heavy and no real extra weight added at this point. One trailer I'm looking at with my new GF is 2400lbs dry with a 400lb tongue weight. The dry weight I'm thinking would probably be okay though I expect I'd certainly feel it, but would I be wrong in thinking the tongue weight would be pushing my limit?

Just curious to see what I could realistically work with.

I tow occasionally a 13' Fiberglass SCAMP trailer. No electric brakes needed. I personally wouldn't go much beyond that. 1500 lbs or so loaded, but I don't overload it and keep what weight I do load as close to the tongue as possible. Very slow going, with the trailer.

Brakes are limiting factor
Very true. I had actually forgotten to include that I've got the FZJ80 master cylinder, 4Runner front calipers and GM rear discs. So a definite upgrade from stock. Not sure when I'd get around to doing the Tundra front brakes, which I want to do but have a LOT of other projects to work on first.

Obviously I know I won't be able to discern hard numbers with this. Just hoping to get an idea of "I wouldn't tow any more than...." from those with experience towing with their Cruisers.

Last edited:
As best as I can work out, they were sold here with a 2500kg towing capacity which is about 5500 lbs. You'd want trailer brakes though.

I regularly tow my 5m boat (usually loaded with camping gear) on trips of 1500km - 2000km each way. The trailer is licensed for 1.5t, and the car tows it easily and brakes great as the trailer has mechanical disc brakes. I wouldn’t want to to much heavier though.

Going up a hill at 7000' elevation, even a 500# trailer drags hard on my FJ62. If you plan any high elevation/hilly stuff, you're going to regret trying to tow 2400#, IMO.
You're running the Nomad upgraded A440F with third gear lockup right?

You're running the Nomad upgraded A440F with third gear lockup right?

I wish. I'm bone stock with 31x10.5s and a stock engine/trans with 262K on it. I did install a large transmission cooler. My trans would get hot just driving around town before I added the cooler.

In the late 1990s, I tried towing a 1900-odd pound popup with a stock '87 FJ60 on 30x9.5s and it was sad. 29 mph up the non-steep side of Raton (NM) Pass in 2nd gear at 3000 RPM. I did pass a single VW Bus (even slower than I) - which resulted in cheering throughout the vehicle. Towing that trailer drove me to purchase an FZJ-80.

Your 33” tires are not your friend when towing and braking.
Yup I knew they would be a big limiting factor.

Might just wait until I win the Powerball and swap in a 6BT (yeah right)....

Admittedly, I have more power than most and a manual transmission, but the 60 isn't too bad to tow with...

Edit: it's a 62, but close enough

Last edited:
What makes it the worst tow vehicle ever?
Ok maybe I was being a bit dramatic - a 40 series would be worse. But I couldn’t in good conscience recommend a 62 for any serious towing duty. Power (lack), wheelbase, weight, brakes, cooling… We all know these trucks struggle to get out of their own way even when unloaded.

Is yours diesel by chance? I could see that making a difference. Maybe.

i have a 1hdt so my 62 isn’t at all stock. i have pulled a 4500 lb camper trailer with it. inhave also hauled my chevelle and a fj40 (not at the same time) on a car hauler. i have trailer brakes which are a must. if i go over 100km/hr. start to have over heat issues. i don’t like towing that much so i sold the camper. you’re power is going to suck with the 3FE up hills or into a headwind. brake controllers and trailer brakes are a must at that weight too. the suspension can handle it and it actually handles reasonably but as others have mentioned they are not great tow vehicles for heavy loads. i have a cdn m101 that follows behind beautifully though. i’ll tow that all day anywhere i go!!

Existing thread with lots of experience and opinions:

Diesels rule,

Sweden HJ60 3000 Kg with forced braked trailer. (Max släpvagnsvikt)
Swedisch HJ60.png

Switzerland takes the price,
HJ61 6000 kg with air brakes on trailer,

Switzerland HJ61.png

All limited to 80km/hours max.
Sprintime 0 to 80 ........................ check the calender 🐌

if you can get a trailer with its own brake system tied into a controller in your vehicle things will be a lot easier.

Ok maybe I was being a bit dramatic - a 40 series would be worse. But I couldn’t in good conscience recommend a 62 for any serious towing duty. Power (lack), wheelbase, weight, brakes, cooling… We all know these trucks struggle to get out of their own way even when unloaded.

Is yours diesel by chance? I could see that making a difference. Maybe.
I beg to differ, we don't get the easily obtainable pickup trucks over here so Land Cruiser/ Nissan Patrol are a frequently used tow vehicle. I'd be quite comfortable in an LWB 40 series or a 60/61/62 to ~2500kg and our later 80s and newer Land Cruisers are all rated to 3500kg trailer mass.

Trailer brakes are obviously essential.

I'm supercharged (3FE) and manual gearbox, so a bit different, but never had cooling issues and the brakes will lock 35s quite happily. Without being difficult, if you can't keep a land cruiser cool or stop it quickly, I'd suggest some maintenance is in order.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom