How much would you pay for a 2UZ swap 'kit? (5 Viewers)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

I for one had a very hard time sourcing a 2uz and any 2uz around 100k miles are crazy expensive. Guess Toyota and 2 UZ are victim of their own success, both the car and the engine last a long time so very few engines are available for me to buy even if I want to go this route. I'm not going to replace a 200k engine with another 200k engine for price of a new car.

if you can find a high miles for cheaper and say do aftermarket piston and rods.. that should be cost effective because you are almost have a Brand new engine?

if you can find a high miles for cheaper and say do aftermarket piston and rods.. that should be cost effective because you are almost have a Brand new engine?

Very possible but I don't trust after market stuff and rebuilt hinges completely on the competency of the guy rebuilding it and that's even harder to come by. This is why I rather get a new crate LS motor or at least spend a little more on a low mileage motor with good history. As much as it is a toy I just want that piece of mind and not have that nagging worry at back of my mind when I'm in middle of Death Valley when it's 110 degrees. I still trust my straight 6 with blown head gasket more than any rebuilt motor.

I assume youre looking for a complete pull out motor.

Just off the top of my head from helping a buddy do his timing belt in his 4 runner - AC is on opposite side(LH), alternator is on opposite side(RH), ps pump is on opposite side(RH).

The alternator should be addressed with the harness. @jetranger already said he would be taking care of the AC lines. So the question if power steering lines would be included or not? If so, hydraulically pressed or braided line? Also, are the hoses to be Dot approved?

Yes I'm looking for complete engine/tranny pull out with ECU so that's probably a little harder. I can source ECU separately but would like to have the engine and tranny to be together to reduce variables in parts.

Would you like to deal with all the electronics? lol

It is my understanding that even the older ones have lots of electronics, another reason for LS swap because they are common and easy to deal with.

If you have documentations on the different between different years on electronics it would be greatly helpful. This is just dreaming stage so need more info to get it a step closer to reality.

I do not have documentation, but when I did my 2UZ swap, I was in constant contact with a Lexus Engineer, (Evan Jenkins) who had just about unlimited resources through his job with Lexus and he was quite quick to say don't go past 2004. That was many years ago, but the electronics and I imagine the CAN bus are looking for a lot more chassis inputs that the 80 will not have.

It is my understanding that even the older ones have lots of electronics, another reason for LS swap because they are common and easy to deal with.

If you have documentations on the different between different years on electronics it would be greatly helpful. This is just dreaming stage so need more info to get it a step closer to reality.

I do not have documentation, but when I did my 2UZ swap, I was in constant contact with a Lexus Engineer, (Evan Jenkins) who had just about unlimited resources through his job with Lexus and he was quite quick to say don't go past 2004. That was many years ago, but the electronics and I imagine the CAN bus are looking for a lot more chassis inputs that the 80 will not have.

Awesome information! Guess I'll change my search a little bit, finding a low mileage 04 could be a bit of challenge.

@Qball crate ls3. 0 miles, good for another 25 years. If nummi happened, why can't a vortec inside a Toyota happen?

@lazy

Press your browsers 'BACK' button, click 'POST NEW THREAD', start 100th new thread in 80 series section regarding LS swaps.

You obviously are missing the point of this thread. It was created for people that are interested in a 2UZ in their 80's, for the power, reliability, unique factor, and most of all, they WANT one.

Can you honestly not relate to people that want something different than you?

@lazy

Press your browsers 'BACK' button, click 'POST NEW THREAD', start 100th new thread in 80 series section regarding LS swaps.

You obviously are missing the point of this thread. It was created for people that are interested in a 2UZ in their 80's, for the power, reliability, unique factor, and most of all, they WANT one.

Can you honestly not relate to people that want something different than you?

I already have an LS swap thread going. So, no need to start a new one.

Just trying to help. I get that YOU started this thread, but we've been talking about this for a couple days without any input from you. I've been listing some things I think a 2uz kit would need. There's naturally crossover, and I know @Qball is highly interested in an LS swap, otherwise I wouldn't have said anything. Otherwise, maybe you should get over yourself.

i guess some people woke up on the wrong side of the bed

Right. I would probably not pay $4k for motor mounts, transmission crossmember, headers, and drive shaft.

Just stating that as a fact.

i'm not even going to question whether those parts cost anywhere near that to produce.

I see that the VVTI version is drive-by-wire. So you'd need the pedal cluster too, or maybe just modified gas pedal.

Given the similarity in fuel efficiency and not a whole lot more power, I'm more interested in diesel swaps.

Completely different swap but I recently finished swapping an rb25det into a Datsun 280z. Low volume swap similar to what this appears it could be. Another data point to consider at a minimum.

Motors mounts + Trans crossmember - $525.00
Exhaust (Non-custom option) - $870.00
Custom Rear facing Sump - $550.00
Wiring harness - $525.00
Custom Steel drive shaft $325.00

There was a bunch of other very specific-to-that-swap stuff like the throttle cable + mounts, piping, etc. that I didn't include.

I would think the 03-04 2uz out of a GX470 would be the bees knees. You lose the VVT-I which is a bummer ( should be easier wiring though ) but you still get the 5 spd auto which should help things out. I'm not sure what the weight difference is between a stocker GX and an 80. I know the wife's GX feels like a missile compared to either of my 80's.

Did anything ever come of this?

OP probably found that while a 2uz is pretty impressive in a 3500# FJ40 its less than spectacular in a 6000# 80. IMHO a LS swap make a whole heck of a lot more sense, lighter, smaller, just as if not more reliable and much better low end grunt. But hey, you know what they say about opinions.;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom