How much would you pay? 1988 LJ70 2LT (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I am currently in Europe. Trying to decide in the next couple days if I import the car to the United States, or sell it here. I think I have a fair offer, but it is lower than I wanted. Maybe y'all can help me out with your best guess at the price? If it is close to the offer I have I might sell it here and forget the hassle of shipping. I am moving to California in 2 weeks. Because of CA laws I would probably import to Colorado or Washington/Oregon. Any help with that process would be helpful also. I have the shipping lined up(military), it would be the registering I need a clue about. Anyway, here is the ad I was going to run:
Photos:
1988 Toyota LJ70 by Caitlin Daniel

1988 Turbo Diesel 2.4L engine
LJ70 Series short body
286xxx km (177k miles)
Rebuilt engine at approximately 250xxx km
36xxx km(22k miles) on rebuilt motor
32” Mud tires 265/75R16 (2 new) with full size spare; 5 total
29” Road tires 205/80R16 mounted on rims; 5 total
5 speed manual with low 1st gear and dashboard throttle control
4 wheel drive 2H, 4H, 4L
Aisin Lockers
Altimeter-Inclinometer Tilt Gauge
Snorkle
CB Radio and antena
Anti-theft hidden “kill switch” (doesn’t allow car to be turned on even with the keys if the switch is engaged)
Custom aftermarket ice cold AC and heater
Rear Window Tint
Fog lights
Good condition seats
Hands-free microphone
Original Toyota jack in rear compartment (works with the oversize tires)
Rear folding seats

Previously owned by a local mechanic and maintained since with the same mechanic. All work below done in the last 2 years with documentation

Marlin Crawler front axle seals and bearings
Rear transmission U-joint
New horn
Tow hitch
All new belts
Fuel injectors cleaned and refurbished
New fuel filter pump
New front brakes and rear brake shoes
New parking brake
Radiator flush with Blue fluid
Rear transmission seal
Rear window frames and seals
Red Top Optima Battery (25 months left on warranty)
New paint

(I am pretty sure I rebuilt the alternator and a couple other things but I can't find the paperwork for it)
1988 Toyota LJ70 by Caitlin Daniel
IMG_4845.JPG

IMG_5183.JPG

IMG_5196.JPG

First off, are you in Rota/Puerto/Chipiona or Moron/Sevilla area? The location could make a difference in price, especially cause we know the americans here love Automatics. Otherwise the condition looks great, I don't think an american here would pay more than $5K; maybe 6... However with the condition it's in and it being a LHD it'd be worth more in the states. It looks to have a lot of aftermarket parts and taken great care of.

Personal Opinion, import it. also are you a CA resident? that makes a difference being military and importing into CA as well. At least from what I read somewhere, I'll try to find the link. For now: Registering an NON-USA, out-of-country, or "Grey Market" car in California

Omoitsurugi:

Yes, Rota area. The offer I have is more than the price you mentioned so that is good. I am leaning towards still importing it though. I was a resident of California before moving here, but my Active Duty husband is a resident of Colorado.

Thanks for the link. I am wondering about the diesel import tests CA has to do, or if military gets a bypass for any of those things.

Omoitsurugi:

Yes, Rota area. The offer I have is more than the price you mentioned so that is good. I am leaning towards still importing it though. I was a resident of California before moving here, but my Active Duty husband is a resident of Colorado.

Thanks for the link. I am wondering about the diesel import tests CA has to do, or if military gets a bypass for any of those things.

Talk to legal they may be able to help. I'll probably be going through the same deal, my wife (not AD) is a VA resident and her parents still live there, so i'll probably import mine there and drive it across country. I think i've see your truck around base, good to find another person here who has one? also how long have you owned it for, another factor into importing if you've owned it for a year or more you shouldn't have to pay taxes (being military).

Yes, she turns a lot of heads on base! I have owned it for almost 3 years. I have an appointment for legal next week already, so I can bring it up then. Good idea.

Nice little rig you have there! Any offer you get over there would be raised by several thousand just by being in the US up to about 10k for a pristine example...MAYBE more in California but at this point it's likely you won't be able to register it there.
There are a couple of examples that have sold in the last year here. Anything LHD is worth more here but a 2LT powered Cruiser is going to scare a lot of folks. I loved that motor in my Hilux and an LJ70 doesn't weigh any more. Great rig for Euro terrain and speeds but it's not going to be ideal for interstates here. Still rare and worth bring back for sure. If you have access to documentation of the engine rebuild and receipts it will help the sale.

Cheers

Yes, she turns a lot of heads on base! I have owned it for almost 3 years. I have an appointment for legal next week already, so I can bring it up then. Good idea.

Did you consult the Mud crew before you bought it? I seem to remember it. If the body is rust free, keep it and watch your investment grow.
I saw one go in Western Australia recently, very similar. It went for $5000AUD, about $4500USD and it went in a few hours. But I imagine it would be worth at least double that in the US if its a good one. Add another $3k for LHD.

Did you consult the Mud crew before you bought it? I seem to remember it.

Yes i did! It was great :) body is rust free as far as I can see. I think I will bring her home and keep her for a bit. The people that want to buy it want to go on long interstate road trips to get to fire trails and such for cycling and hiking. But I don't feel comfortable selling it to someone that is going to do that. I know it's not meant for the highways in Spain or in the States.

I think it is a good one. I have not had any engine problems these 3 years and just have replaced things as they wear.

I brought my '88 bj74 across from Canada.

The EPA/Emissions form and the NHSTA/Safety form each had a box to check off stating the vehicle is over 25 years old (so none of their restrictions apply). Easy to get it across the border. Might be more difficult getting it into a sea port?

Biggest problem I had registering it in Virginia was convincing the pencil pusher that Canada does not have a paper with the word TITLE at the top to show who owned it last AND convincing her that US Customs no longer uses actual rubber stamps...everything with them is digital now.
Everyone wants to see original documents, if it is on real paper.

Yes i did! It was great :) body is rust free as far as I can see. I think I will bring her home and keep her for a bit

You would be kicking yourself forever if you didn't bring it home.

you wont find one that nice here in the states for less than $15K, probably more with a refreshed motor. It is a light duty so its less desirable though. I imported mine from Japan (87 BJ74) and it was crazy easy since it is older than 25 years. I had to make sure it had no leaks and i had too much gas in it so i had to drive around for a long time to get it low enough but besides getting all the paper work in order and telling people that thought that i couldnt that they were wrong ( i printed out the import regs and highlighted the important bits) it was easy. I was even able to keep my Japanese plates even though everyone insisted that i would be unable to. Not even Comifornia will be able to stop you from importing it. the only issue you might have is the aftermarket pipe on the top. you cannot ship a modified engine to the states that kills the legality. but if you can find the stock turbo (unsure if its turbo inlet or return piping) tube you should be fine.

the only issue you might have is the aftermarket pipe on the top

Paint it black and put a Toyota sticker on it. I doubt they have seen one before, so they probably wouldn't notice it.

there is no aftermarket pipe on top of that engine. early 2lt have the air pipe between intake and turbo just like that.

ac is aftermarket and the flexible hose between air filter and aftermarket snorkel is alien to toyota.

apart from that, cannot see any difference to my 2lt engine.

even air filter is unmodified.

there is no aftermarket pipe on top of that engine. early 2lt have the air pipe between intake and turbo just like that.

ac is aftermarket and the flexible hose between air filter and aftermarket snorkel is alien to toyota.

apart from that, cannot see any difference to my 2lt engine.

even air filter is unmodified.
its probably GTG then you will need to pay to have the title translated too, i forgot to mention that.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom