How much work/expense to fix this spot? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have an FJ60 I’m selling. It has one rust/rot patch on rear quarter panel. A few buyers have changed their minds after seeing it. Wonder how big a deal, repair this is. Posting pic. The black is primer.
E354820F-FE08-495A-AD0E-3B849FA2EBA7.jpeg

$100 bucket of bondo and a rattle can, it'll look good

to fix properly $2000-2500?? cut out, weld in new, blend, and paint

That area has a bunch of rust seeky sheet all mushed together in a complex shape. So many different sheets. Yuck. Dig at it with screwdriver its softness will run deep. You need to cut the rust out and weld in new metal. Im an incompetant hacker and that spot took me 2-3 full days to do an ugly job (that was strong metal and waterproof.)

Please dont bondo over rust.

If it’s only one side It’s probably close to 1500, more if they’re particular and you have to consider the lengths one has to go in order to match 30 year old paint

edit: before my truck snowballed into a full blown repaint I took it to the shop for a half dollar sized hole behind the wheel well on either side and was quoted 1500 to refresh both wheel wells

@TRAIL TAILOR quality is excellent. Maybe this would make a diy job easier or reduce the cost at a body shop.
Good luck.

If you don't mind the appearance but just want to stop the destruction, soak it in boiled linseed oil - 4 coats applied every 10 days. It'll look like hell but the rusting will stop. The oil eventually polymerizes into a tacky flexible coating that will attract dirt - but it won't rust anymore

Chances are that rust is only the tip of the iceberg. If you start digging you could find way more than you bargained for. A knowledgeable or interested buyer may be willing to buy it knowing they will have to do the repair work. More pics and your price would be interesting.

Last edited:
That chrome trim and the red overspray on it suggest there is previous body work in the area. As mentioned, once you start digging on this it will get messy. I’d drop the price before I tried to repair it.

Yeah more pics would help. The frame and wheel well actually look pretty good, this may just be one spot that had an imperfection and the cancer started.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom