How much wind noise is too much? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I know this has been covered to a degree elsewhere but wanted to see if I can squeeze anything more out of the brain trust. I bought an '03 LC. The previous owner had at some point replaced the windshield. It leaked and there was a fair amount of wind noise that seemed to be originating from the passenger side. The leak wasn't terrible but enough for me to have it fixed. I had it replaced by Safelite who also installed the two trim pieces down the side (attached with rivets). It was missing the rivets when I bought it. I bought the Toyota coated rivets but they did not arrive in time for me to have Safelite use them. I think they just used standard aluminum rivets instead. The trim pieces were not in the greatest of shape (slightly bent and don't sit PERFECTLY flush with the windshield/roofline where they meet.

Long story short, my leak is gone but the wind noise is still there. Any ideas? Should it be near-perfectly quiet or will there always be some wind noise - given the brickshapedness of the 100?

If it doesn't leak its probably a matter of preference on how much wind noise is acceptable.

I had some wind noise before I had my windshield replaced. I talked with my installer a few times before he actually did the replacement (I also requested the most detail attentive installer perform mine). He suggested I order OE Toyota replacement gaskets and trim instead of using the ones he was going to use, so I did. Zero wind noise after the install and it was lovely.

Then I installed a full expo rack with no wind faring about three weeks later and it howls like a banshee above 45... I never said I was a smart man...

Likely could be that but there's other stuff that will cause wind noise aside from windshield trim. I had a set of windshield wiper blades that caused wind noise when I swapped them in :meh:

Spray/apply super sudsy soap around outside perimeter of windshield. Then use compressed air, blowing the perimeter of the windshield from the inside. If no compressed air, windshield defrost on high might work?

Likely could be that but there's other stuff that will cause wind noise aside from windshield trim. I had a set of windshield wiper blades that caused wind noise when I swapped them in :meh:

I had the same thought and replaced the blades with Bosch low profile. No difference (or none that I could tell).

Spray/apply super sudsy soap around outside perimeter of windshield. Then use compressed air, blowing the perimeter of the windshield from the inside. If no compressed air, windshield defrost on high might work?

I’m near certain the windshield is air tight/sealed well. It’s undergone some monsoon rains and several trips through the car was with no leaks. I think the noise is related to the trim install. I mostly wonder if it’s even possible for a cabin to not experience any wind noise.

Incidentally, the side trim is crazy expensive!

This is my first post here but I have been lurking for a while. I just bought my first landcruiser (2000) and have been experiencing this wind noise as well. My previous 2004 4runner was nothing like this! It’s really discouraging. The previous owner had the windshield replaced and it looks roughs to say the least. I also have a wind deflector for the sun roof and a factory roof rack. 100 series owners please chime in. These things can’t be known for having road noise at highway speeds?

FCD603E3-4BDC-4B01-8C94-138C03DD0F27.jpeg

I've got a 2005 with no noticeable wind noise. I usually ride with no radio or other noises going on in the vehicle and that's at least 8 miles once daily on freeway/interstate roadways at 60-70mph. I still have street tires and no aftermarket gear (bumpers/lights/racks/sweet spoilers with flames, etc). The windshield has not been replaced to my knowledge from the PO or the carfax report when I was in process of purchasing it.

Also, welcome aboard Jbiz.

Thanks weakspleen. I’m hoping that if I take the windshield in to be reinstalled that it solves the problem. Unfortunately up here in Canada, landcruisers were never sold. In my small town nobody will have changed a landcruiser windshield. I’m hoping that isn’t an issue for an experienced installer. I was hoping if they can get the windshield out without breaking it that they could re use it. I’ll upload some pics this morning of the windshield install as it’s sits now.

I should just be wind rush noise, no higher pitch noise or whistling. Rivets should fit very tightly. If you can't find the noise or leak on the windshield, check the side mirror gaskets, they can leak air when cruisers get older.

There is also a black tar like glue they use for the sealant. If the bead isn't well done, there could be air gaps causing a slight whistle. I was with the installer as he was cutting out the old stuff complaining about how terrible of a job the previous installer did.

Yours is missing a piece of rubber trim that covers those rivets down in the channel. But I’m not sure how much noise difference it would make.

It’s also missing a rivet. That will cause a significant amount of noise.

It’s dark outside right now but I’ll get some better pics in the morning.

The fasteners look like screws and not rivets. The other side is the same. Also I should add that my highway noise is not whistling per say it just sounds really windy. I’m not sure if it’s an aerodynamics thing or there is something actually not sealed up right. It’s downright annoying at 70mph compared to our 2004 4runner.

Wish I had something to compare it to.

Take those screws out and replace them all with rivets. I’d be willing to bet you’ll cut wind noise very noticeably.

This is how we look for leaks at my Shop. It will bubble on the outside like crazy if there is a leak when you blow compressed air from the inside. We are using foaming Glass Cleaner from Stoner Brand.

I’ve found some old threads on this.

Couldn't take it any longer, it was time to take a look under my windshield trim

Just scored a 2007 LC

I am afraid I’ve got a problem on my hands! This is an all too common issue with these and what’s worse is being in Canada it might be very difficult to find a qualified installer.

Whoever installed this windshield before obviously didn’t have any of the replacement trim pieces and it appears the old windshield was cut out as there is a fair bit of paint missing above the windshield.

This could be expensive

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom