How much valve noise do you have..... (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
My Toy was just restored, and I'm wondering if the valves need to be re-adjusted....or what is normal? I've been driving it now for 2 weeks after restore/rebuild.

Its not REALLY loud....but definitely more than I am use to from an engine... is valve clicking nomal in a Toy.... I have the stock motor... Its a 1978 FJ-40.

I usually adjust my valves once a year. But typically they do sound like an angry sewing machine.

When I first got my cruiser, I listened to the motor and it sounded like it was going to beat itself to death, but after I adjusted the valves, it got waaay quiet, not like a Honda, but really very smooth. A few vacuum leaks later and a carb rebuild, electronic ignition and I'm pleased. Maybe I've just become used to the sound, but it is much quieter than our first date. I adjusted mine without the motor running, static, I guess, but guys do it either way.

GL

Ed

My truck wasn't running when I bought it so I had no idea what a 2f was supposed to sound like. After the rebuild It was really loud .Sounded way too loud to me but I convinced myself that there was nothing wrong and these trucks are just noisy .
500 miles later I found out that the machinist that did my rebuild had put the head gasket on upside down . No oil was getting to the head. It's fixed now and remarkably quiet. These engines have a mechanical sound but not so loud that you can't have a convetrsation while standing next to them.
In your case You probably just need to adjust your valves, but your question brought up a painful memory.

Ouch....that would suck... Now I'm concerned too.... I am taking it back to the shop tonight to get my new brush guard and I will ask....

OK, I thoroughly read the post. As the parts "wear in" especially the cam, lifters and valve train your valves will go out of adjustment. If it has been only two weeks since rebuild, they most definitely need adjusting.

GL

Ed

Your mechanic may have set the valves on the loose side deliberately as a breaking-in precaution in case the engine ran a little hot and closed the tolerances more than is usual, Were you given any instructions to bring it back after a certain time or milage?

Normally running engines with mechanical lifters like these emit a distinct and pleasant mechanical sound. Over time you may develop an ear for it and be able to sense by the sounds when there is something different, something right or something wrong. It will change with the weather too, and is different when it's raining or cold, hot, or at high or low elevations. Mostly these are good things.

I have a very distinct tick, tick,ticking sound coming from the driver side of the eng. Is that a lifter problem.
SORRY for butting in on your thread. Couldn't find info anywhere.

boerboel313 said:
I have a very distinct tick, tick,ticking sound coming from the driver side of the eng. Is that a lifter problem.

If it gets louder when you give it more gas, it is an exhaust leak. Valve lifter noise is on the passenger side of theengine.

Out on the trail, I have been asked if I had a diesel under the hood because of all the valve noise.

I guess I should get around to adjusting my valves.

honk said:
Your mechanic may have set the valves on the loose side deliberately as a breaking-in precaution in case the engine ran a little hot and closed the tolerances more than is usual, Were you given any instructions to bring it back after a certain time or milage?

Normally running engines with mechanical lifters like these emit a distinct and pleasant mechanical sound. Over time you may develop an ear for it and be able to sense by the sounds when there is something different, something right or something wrong. It will change with the weather too, and is different when it's raining or cold, hot, or at high or low elevations. Mostly these are good things.

That is SO WELL put, it's almost poetic. :)

Totally second the initial break in period theory. I had one tempermental truck in the shop that needed the valves readjusted 3 times in the first week, 2 more in the second. It's not a constant problem, but one that does require immediate attention when it is not right. When it's done right, it's as satisfying as making a kitten purr in your lap.

what are these valves and how do you adjust them???

:confused:

Pin_Head said:
LOL

Actually it is funny, I have never adjusted the valves on the motor I have in the 40 right now... I installed it and drove away... That was 5 or so years ago ;)

Mark was seriously bagging on me for that a while ago ;)

boerboel313 said:

I got the same thing. After a couple years of digging and alot of work, nothing has changed. I think it's got something to do with the fuel pump. It's not an exhaust leak, or a lifter/tappet. At least I'm 100 percent sure on my rig.

Yeah, i like that... I'm still a novice at valve adjustment as far as 2F's go, I've done it a couple of times with it. The sewing machine analogy is definately apt, and you do get a "feel" when something might not be right. Mine's due for one, especially to compensate for painting my daughter's room PINK.

nial

Got an old garden hose around? Cut about a 2' chunk and use it like a stethoscope.This will pick up exhaust leaks real quick without burned fingers. It can also be used to pinpoint mechanical sounds, although not as good as a stethoscope. Eliminate or locate exhaust leaks as the noise you are hearing, then start listening to everything else on the engine to find extra loud sounds. Loose lifters, bad bearings, etc will really be loud this way. Find someone with a similar engine and listen to it to compare sounds. Good luck finding your gremlin.

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom