How much should I pay for Header Install? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Since I havent had a day off in a looonnng time and no air tools I am having the header put on the 2F by a guy who does really good work. Just wondering what others have payed to get the header put on? Thanks in advance.....

a header isn't normally something that alot of people pay to have installed. the exhaust after the header is another thing.

i would think that a header could be installed in an hour or so, assuming that you still have the factory manifold on it, less if you have another header on it now.
i've gone from header to header in 30min, in fact i need to go again....soon, real soon.

Carbon-

What vehicle?

Are emissions an issue?

I doubt that anyone could de-smog a late 40 series or a 60 series in an hour...Just my expierence.

Good luck!

-Steve

If it's a smogged vehicle, I quote it out AT LEAST 5 hours of labor to carefully disassemble [not break unobtanium parts] modify and reinstall. There are several issues with EGR cooler and valve placement.

Hth

The vehicle is already desmogged....

It is actually a pretty easy job with a basic set of hand tools without the hassle of the smog equip.

But, you can run into the very rusty bolts breaking off in the head and can't get the friggen thing out, and drill into the bolt ,and spend half the day with bloody knuckles fighting one friggen bolt, and have to retap the hole and.....opps....am I rambling? :eek:

Other than that, it should be cake. Two hours labor tops.....unless.... :doh:

Be careful about this one... I took my truck to the local exhaust shop and they wanted $325 to install just the headers. "Standard rate." These were just hooker blockhuggers for a V-8 too. If you can do it yourself, do it!

Now am I just imagining things? But to go from stock manifolds to a header you need to modify the exhaust pipe where it bolts to the header. Usually the pipe comes all the way up the eng compartment and hooks up just below the manifold, whereas with a header the pipes extend a ways down and bolt up below. In this case you would need a couple special tools aside from the basic hand tools i.e. a welder and pipe spreader.

Unless you are going to get the new pipes that are installed after the header as well. Then you could probably do it with basic hand tools. After the price of the new parts, at $325 you are almost able to buy a welder and do it yourself. That's the beauty of working on your own rig, you build up your shop and learn to do it yourself which in the end saves you lots of money.

But to answer your original question, I wouldn't pay more than 2 hours labor for a shop to do it on an F or 2F. So what's that, about $100 bucks tops.
header.jpg

I will chime in with the "DO IT YOURSELF" too. Its not a difficult job to do, I did mine on my FJ60 and then just took it to the local exhaust guy to go from the header to the pipe. Out here most shops wont install a header because they hate when the customer comes back and says "its leaking" constantly. But if you take your time and torque your bolts and recheck them after 100miles or so you shouldnt have any problems at all.

OH yeah, and one more tip. On my FJ60 I used back to back stock exhaust gaskets... MUCH MUCH better then the header gasket I got from MAF and cured all the leaks I had to start off with.

Heck I put on my own header...went to Advanced bought a section of pipe, a 29.00 muffler, a curved piece and then a "down spout" Spent like 35 bucks on my muffler set up. Had a buddy weld it up for me, took 5 minutes to bolt on and boom I was done. Of course this is on my 40 and I don't give a rats ass about performance and all that BS with a muffler...it's my trail beatin rig..hehe. Gotta love em!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom