x (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Anything past 67.5* or so and they'd better be stiff as heck, or they're not doing much, if anything.

Get them as vertical as you can.

That is a pretty specific number. Where did it come from?

My goal is to be able to run the longest travel shocks I can run in the rear. I know that the Tahoe springs flex like mad. I'm not willing to run them up through the floor sheet metal at this time... I could potentially change my mind after I square away what is going on with the rear body and wheel wells.

FWIW, my sprung over 55 with exact same setup in the rear used the stock upper shock mount with axle shock mount exactly where the red dots are.

The number is a guess. Halfway between ideal (90*) and 45*. I'd assume they're not doing anything at or near 45*.

I have rear shocks that are about 65* and they are not very effective. I bet if you had a lighter truck it'd matter less though.

I'd say start a build thread! That s*** looks awesome!

For shock angle, imo it's more about feel than a formula for old leaf spring suspensions like this. I had Ironman 2" springs soa back in the day and they were so stiff I didn't need shocks. I have I think 12" 5125s in the rear right now with chevy 63s, as upright as I can get it, and I wish they were closer to upright. I don't think I use all of my shock up travel, so I should probably be using 10" shocks and have them more vertical. That or I coughed up the dough for stiffer 12" shocks, either would work.

Once you get your springs set up (or if you do already) see how much axle travel you have at the spot you intend to put your shock mounts. Use those numbers, up travel and down travel, to figure out how long of a shock you need at vertical, and go from there. Thats what I've done on my truck with good success.

I'm not an expert though, so hopefully others can weigh in with their methods.

I will ask that any feedback be of the constructive nature... disagree with an approach and offer a solution.
Just FYI, The tops of these shocks are almost touching the bottom of the floor and to keep them in a workable angle these 10” travel shocks needed to mount to the lower U-bolt hangers.

I built all the parts from 3/8” for the lower hangers and will send you the CAD files if it comes down to you needing something similar.

IMG_20150806_183343442.jpg

I built the rear frame side crossmember and angled it back and up. This gained me 1-2”. I then used a bracket axle side that was customized a bit. This is the result SoA with a 10” shock.

8C147358-AF99-4824-ADAF-125130B75450.jpeg

Cheers

@SNLC VERY nice.

I'm trying to avoid putting something below the axle except for leaf springs. Goal is hoping to get 8" travel shocks to work. Yup, a challenge with non-spring over. I forget the travel on my green FJ55.

We wanted to utilize the full 10” of shock. At ride height it is 5” up and down. This was the only way I could get that done. The truck is not a rock crawler but still, why put in a 10” shock if not using its full travel?

Cheers

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom