How Much power can a 2F make (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
I have a 79 FJ40 with the 2F in it, and plan on keeping it

I like the fact that it is a well built engine and good for over 300k miles if maintained.

What kind of power could a 2f possibly make with the following mods:

-85 + Block (will earlier years fit the 3FE head if flat top pistons are used?)
-3FE Head, Intake, injection
-Mega Squirt Computer
-9-1 compression
-Cam
-Possible flow work

If Everything was done right.....what sort of power could this produce?

What about a Turbo system (Either single or twin) with lower compression pistons runnin around 7psi max boost

Or what about a supercharger?

I know the 2F only has 4 main bearings but if the rpms were kept low would it survive under boost? (I'm sure it wouldn't last to 300k)

Also, how much does .030" over increase the displacement?
Who here is running a fire breathing 2F?

And please dont tell me I need a V8 I dont want my cruiser to lose thousands in value (plus I like the 6 ) 8)

Thanks
Peace Out

I believe all 2F blocks will work with the 3F head..
Cam is a good idea.
Every one that I have ever heard of that has done port work on a cruiser head has only managed to lose low end power. The cruiser six is generally not helped by porting.

You can get 200hp out of a cruiser motor with enough mods. But it will not last the 300K

Why would you twin turbocharge?? NO matter what you do to a cruiser motor if you take it much over 4K you are looking for trouble. A single T04 with stock compression can admirably propell 38's with 4.11 gears. (even old cruiser motors seem to be able to handle 12 psi for short durations)

Putting a V8 in a cruiser does not immedately make it lose thousands in value.

Last month's Hot Rod Magazine had a small caption showing an old Chevy truck (1950's maybe?) that ran 140mph at Bonneville with the stock six-cylinder. Unfortunately, they didn't give any details about the engine. I suppose if that's possible with the Chevy engine, it can also be done with a 2F.

QUOTE: Last month's Hot Rod Magazine had a small caption showing an old Chevy truck (1950's maybe?) that ran 140mph at Bonneville with the stock six-cylinder. Unfortunately, they didn't give any details about the engine. I suppose if that's possible with the Chevy engine, it can also be done with a 2F.

COOL. I like where this is all leading...More info, more opinions

What's up with Man-A-Fre's HIPO 2F? Those chumps won't even provide any numbers or useable info if you ask!

What have other folks done? I know about most of the bolt-on stuff, but who has rebuilt their 2F for performance?

[quote author=Lucy_FJ55 link=board=12;threadid=11372;start=msg103455#msg103455 date=1076547685]
QUOTE: Last month's Hot Rod Magazine had a small caption showing an old Chevy truck (1950's maybe?) that ran 140mph at Bonneville with the stock six-cylinder. Unfortunately, they didn't give any details about the engine. I suppose if that's possible with the Chevy engine, it can also be done with a 2F.

COOL. I like where this is all leading...More info, more opinions

What's up with Man-A-Fre's HIPO 2F? Those chumps won't even provide any numbers or useable info if you ask!

What have other folks done? I know about most of the bolt-on stuff, but who has rebuilt their 2F for performance?
[/quote]

I do not have any personal experience with the Man-a-FreHipo motor..

However I have heard of a few issues of poor assembly (read major problems)

Honestly I think I might have the highest HP 2F (or at least close to it)

Top speed has more to do with wind resistance and gearing than anything else.

Look in the March/April 2001 issue of the 'Trails for an article about upgrading a 2F's oiling system.

Personally, if I was going all out with a 2F, it would be using the oiling upgrades, 74F head, MAF high-compression domed pistons, DUI distributor, header, cam, Clifford/Offenhauser 4 barrel C series intake manifold (custom tapped for TPI), megasquirt, and possibly a small turbo. If a turbo, you'd almost have to run propane. Oh, and if propane, might as well deck the head just a little bit more, too. That would pretty much be about all you can do to a 2F. Aside from worrying about the head gasket, there's really no reason that setup wouldn't last a good long while. Depending on how all that worked, maybe, MAYBE port/polish the intake and head.

That engine would also run you several grand, even if you did it yourself. It would also be really, really cool 8)

Edit: Even if you didn't run propane, you'd probably have to run Avgas...So I'd just go with the propane.

Hey All,

Mace - I thought the idea of twin turbos was that you are using smaller turbos so they spool up quicker, since it wouldn't see high boost why use one large turbo that would have more lag?

Also.....as Im sure you can all imagine Im more interested in low end torque than top speed

Does anybody have any links or info for companies that make performance parts for the 2F other than the big guys (MAF, SOR, etc)

Does anyone make a forged piston other than MAF in a compression other than 9-1?

Also what sort of options are there for oiling upgrades since I know the F series is weak in that area. (like high flow pumps, etc)

How expensive/doable is a dry sump system? Would this be the ultimate for extreme angles or what....

Peace Out

[quote author=Toyoland66 link=board=12;threadid=11372;start=msg103704#msg103704 date=1076566568]
Also what sort of options are there for oiling upgrades since I know the F series is weak in that area. (like high flow pumps, etc)[/quote]

Like I said, grab that issue of the trails. It covers exactly what you need to do to improve the oil system, shim the oil pump, where to have a machinist drill the block, etc. You can get the back issue from the TLCA website, it's worth it (As are all the back issues 8))

A dry sump system would definately be interesting. I doubt anyone's done it yet on a 2F, but if you do, make sure to post pics! :D

Do you really want "explosive" power at the low end?

The turbo that I have has built up 12 psi of boost. It all depends on how far you want to wrap out the motor..

Low end torque will not be greatly improved with much of anything that you can do to a cruiser motor. Persormance enhancers generally will give more top end power, not low end..

Personaly, the extent that you have to go to for the oiling improvements seems a bit extreme to me. F motors were bad due to the bypass oil system. 2F's are not bad at all. As long as you keep an eye on things it should be fine.

Don't forget that not all F's have the "bad" oiling system. Late F's, (like my 74) are the same as a 2F.

Bailey,
Have you considered a 1fze motor? I love my 3fe but the power out of the 1fze is a bit better and then you have the option of the trd supercharger. just a thought. although the 3fe complete powering a 40 series should probably be pretty good.
Dave

I have. A 1fz would be freakin awesome. Basically as good as it gets, lots of power, fuel injection, Toyota I-6.
However, my 40 is my DD so that is not an option for the time being.

I started modding my 2 f about 18 moths ago , extractors , intake 4 brl carb, upped compression , head work , Ran well for about 12 months , Then basicly 1 lot of low octane fuel , 1 x dead 2 f . I finally gave up on the 2f idea and installed an injected 5.0 l , I now have more power and more torque than ever and a lot better fuel ecconomy , Parts are a lot easier to come by , not to mention cheaper . Personaly i wish i hadn't put the money into the 2 f in the fist place , Im not necessaraly suggesting that you go v8 but i would proably look at a new motor , that will return better economy . Im sure that anyone with a 2f would agree that for power to fuel consumption they are pretty poor . And for me anyway living in australia it was going to be very expensive for some serious internals .

for the money you would spend to get good power it wouldnt be worth it I built a 2f offy intake shaved head 2 peice header junk went v8 and its litter and eazy to get parts and cheap 2f aint worth the time just my .02

For those lookin at the old chevy and GMC 6 cyl engines. 54 and earlier and the later 292 6 are and were the hot engine of the times. MANY performance items were made by all the highest performance manufactures. GMC and chevy 6 are different in the 54 and earlier GMC had the biggest all time inline 6 at 302 ci and another that was just alittle less 280? , chevy 6 is more common and they were smaller 231 i believe. Due to the number of performance items made for these engines, i believe the gmc302 or the later chevy 292 could easily rival a v8 in specs. TORQUE monster for sure.

A wide array of items were built for these, dual quad intake on a 6 is my favorite, cams like no other, many salt flat racers use the GMC 302 still so it could easily be possible to find super or turbo setups, whole race engines, etc...

build a ford 300 if you want inline 6. theyre torque monsters

[quote author=cavsfj40 link=board=12;threadid=11372;start=msg104513#msg104513 date=1076712133]
build a ford 300 if you want inline 6. theyre torque monsters
[/quote]

I think the whole idea was to keep the motor that came with the truck..

^ yeah.

I dont really want to swap the engine, then I have to pay for a new engine on top of a rebuild.

I want good all around power and good low end torque, I plan on most likely running a H55F and a split case with 4-1 gears.

Mace, have you done anything internal to your engine or is it just a stock 2F with a T4 on it?

Peace Out

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom