How much mock up before paint? (1 Viewer)

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate
links, including eBay, Amazon, Skimlinks, and others.

Threads
Curious how far you guys go with mocking up your body before paint. When I took it apart everything was fairly lined up. I had the passenger inner and outer rocker replaced and during/after he had the door on it and it lined up...both door openings are even. It seems as though you have a lot of ability to make adjustments after paint so not stressing too much but this is my first rodeo. My thought was to just worry about the doors lining up with the tub and not mocking up everything else. (haven't decided if I will paint it with the doors on it like factory) These things we never perfect but don't want to try and fix something after its painted. Appreciate everyone's opinion or experience.

I mocked up my rear doors, but mostly because I did some rust repair around the sill and quarters, including new attachment spots for the rear doors.
Other cars I’ve done in the past, I’ve assembled everything before paint. But, like you said, there’s a lot of adjustment in everything on these 40’s. I did not paint with doors on and am using yellow zinc fasteners so can make adjustments after paint.

If I decided to paint with doors on, I would first primer everything off, the paint all the backside of hinges and body where hinges will attach to. Then after cure times I would assemble, get everything lined up. Then scuff everything and paint. Seems like a lot of work.

If I decided to paint with doors on, I would first primer everything off, the paint all the backside of hinges and body where hinges will attach to. Then after cure times I would assemble, get everything lined up. Then scuff everything and paint. Seems like a lot of work.
i'm getting close to this point and your approach was one i was considering, just hadn't seen anyone speak to it. thanks for bringing it up. i still go back and fourth everyday on the pros and cons of each

For me I have way to much time and money invested not to mock it up so i don't scream and want to harm someone dear to me. when things need to be redone after paint.

i'm getting close to this point and your approach was one i was considering, just hadn't seen anyone speak to it. thanks for bringing it up. i still go back and fourth everyday on the pros and cons of each
Everything is already sealed all around (hinges, etc) so that’s the route I was thinking if I painted with doors on. Figure if it’s good enough for Toyota on the assembly line it’s a viable option...

Everything is already sealed all around (hinges, etc) so that’s the route I was thinking if I painted with doors on. Figure if it’s good enough for Toyota on the assembly line it’s a viable option...
Not sure that their paint and metal to metal worked out all that well.......

Users who are viewing this thread

Back
Top Bottom